Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

jreznik
My Device: Tour 9630

Updater stuck on Connecting to Device

[ Edited ]

I decided it might be a good idea to update the software on my blackberry since I haven't checked in probably almost a year.  So I plug it in, Desktop tells there's an update for BB Desktop so I decide to update that first, downloaded, installed, done. Next I see an update for the Blackberry (Tour 9630) device, so I click update.  Then it tells me I need the latest version of Desktop again (wtf?). So I click update Desktop (again) and then it starts installing packages.

Finally I can click update the device. I do so, let it back up all my contacts, SMS, etc. and it starts updating.

Now the updater is stuck on Connecting to device (this may take up to 30 minutes) for over an hour now, and my phone has rebooted and is now sitting at the home screen with no connection, no messages, no contacts, NOTHING. I didn't disconnect it once through the whole process or touch my Blackberry.

Someone please help, this is bull**bleep** and I NEED my phone.

Edit: I'm looking around for the files it "backed up" to my computer and My Documents > Blackberry > Backup is empty?? I sure hope I didn't lose all my stuff, that would be awful.

Please use plain text.
jreznik
My Device: Tour 9630

Re: Updater stuck on Connecting to Device

Alright I managed to get it back on. Here's what I did in case others have similar problems:

After 2 hours of waiting I tried the BB "Ctrl+Alt+Del" reset (hold left alt + right shift and press del). The device shut off and the red light came on. I waited for it to reboot but after 5 minutes it was blank screen (off) and solid red light. I then pulled the battery out and nothing happened (was still plugged in to computer that's how it had power). With the battery still out, I unplugged the usb cable, blackberry shuts off. I then put the battery back in and turn it on. Next on the BB i see a spinning hour glass (looked like a new icon!) so I plugged it back into the usb and let it boot up with it plugged into the computer. When the blackberry finally booted up LO AND BEHOLD the updater went to the NEXT STEP! It reuploaded all my data and now I have a working blackberry again.

Hope this doesn't happen to any of you it's a nerve-wracking experience.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
primacat
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: Updater stuck on Connecting to Device

I would like to personally thank you for your advice here and steps to get a BB "unstuck". I had the same thing happen to me and couldn't get it resolved until I came across your post. Thanks!

Please use plain text.