Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
buzzure
My Device: 9500
My Carrier: Idea

Upgrade from OS 4.X or 5.X to 6

Hi All,

can I upgrade to OS 6 from OS 4.X or OS 5.X?

Thanks for sharing your information.

Buzzure,

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
buzzure

Re: Upgrade from OS 4.X or 5.X to 6

I would like to get some information on following things

1. Can i updgrade to OS 6 from 4.x or 5.x?

2. What all devices are going to be compatible to OS 6?

3. The upcoming Blackberry devices which will support the OS 6?

buzzure,

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hello,

buzzure wrote:

1. Can i updgrade to OS 6 from 4.x or 5.x?

Impossible to even guess since you've revealed no details (BB model, etc.). But, likely moot anyway...read on.

buzzure wrote:

2. What all devices are going to be compatible to OS 6?

Anyone with authoritative information for that would be specifically enjoined from revealing it (e.g., "trade secrets", "proprietary information", "forward looking information", etc.)...plus, such things are not proper discussions for these forums as per the TOS.

buzzure wrote:

3. The upcoming Blackberry devices which will support the OS 6?

Also forward looking information, subject to the two conditions above.

Best advice -- keep your eyes and ears tuned to RIM press releases. Further, once RIM does release it, all that does is get to the first step. The next step is for the carriers to decide if they will support it...if history is any guide, some will and others will not. The final step is for the carriers to release it to their end users. And, as with all OS packages, it is likely to be BB-model specific and carrier-by-carrier specific. Hence, until there is something formal, all else is speculation.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
buzzure

Thanks for your response, already gone though the BB press release

buzzure,

Please use plain text.
Contributor
georgejost
My Device: Not Specified

So a customer asking a perfectly ordinary business question related to using thier phone is off limits?

No wonder RIM is dying.

I've got v4.6 on my blackberry. Trying to decide whether to get a playbook.

RIM seems determined to ensure that I buy an iPad instead.

After all, knowing whether your phone can have its OS upgraded is against terms of service, apparently.

As for the question about "all future devices", obviously, a RIM employee answering would be reasonable to be against their terms of employment but if press releases from RIM existed, a non-RIM employee answering, would be reasonable

I guess the point was playbook was going to use QNX.

Again, shocked how determined RIM seems to be to die.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hello,

Perhaps I can help clarify for you...

georgejost wrote:

So a customer asking a perfectly ordinary business question related to using thier phone is off limits?

No wonder RIM is dying.

georgejost wrote:

After all, knowing whether your phone can have its OS upgraded is against terms of service, apparently.

Not at all. Check the timestamps of the above thread...it's rather old. It was during the time that OS 6 was just coming out, so there was no knowledge outside of the press releases as to what may or may not become available in the future (from the timeframe of those posts). The best source of information, at that time, was the press releases. Such is very different now.

georgejost wrote:

As for the question about "all future devices", obviously, a RIM employee answering would be reasonable to be against their terms of employment but if press releases from RIM existed, a non-RIM employee answering, would be reasonable

Same answer...the press release contained the full extent of authoritative information at the point in time of this thread. Hence, the referral to that (I personally don't find it a good investment of my time to simply repeat what is elsewhere). The point of my response to that particular question was to indicate that, as per the TOS of the site (at that time), forward looking discussions were discouraged since they would be based on speculation alone. If anyone came along with authoritative information, revealing it (at that time) would likely have been in violation of multiple constraints that would exist on that person. These forums have evolved to one of helping folks deal with what "is" and staying out of speculation about what "could or should be".

georgejost wrote:

I've got v4.6 on my blackberry. Trying to decide whether to get a playbook.

RIM seems determined to ensure that I buy an iPad instead.

I guess the point was playbook was going to use QNX.

There are a plethora of devices in the world. Each one is different from the other. Each person must evaluate their own personal requirements against the available devices in the world. No one solution fits all. If the RIM solutions don't meet your personal set of requirements, then so be it.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.