Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
popdo
My Device: Blackberry bold

Upgrade question-Whata CDMA and GSM

I recently upgraded by blackberry bold to 6.0 and it as me a question.  I don't even know what it means so I said no!  I think this coded language is a bit assuming.  Here's the question.

What does this mean ?

"you have inserted a SM Card. Would you like our blackbery to automatically selct CDMA or GSM based on the network availability?"

I think SM is my memory card. so what is CDMA or GSM and what would happen if I answered Yes!

Will this end up costing me extra money?

I hope someone can help me out, I spent 25 minutes wading through Support trying to get an answer.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,950
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Upgrade question-Whata CDMA and GSM

SM, you mean SIM card, not the Media Card, but a card the carrier or you insert which gives you access to other cellular bands if you are traveling out of your home country.

You failed to say, but what model BlackBerry Bold do you have? I assume the 9650 from Verizon or Sprint, which are both CDMA network providers. Since most of the rest of the world uses the GSM network, if you were to travel to, say Europe, you would need access to the GSM radio bands for your BlackBerry to operate.

So, Verizon includes in its quad-band model devices, such as the 9650, a SIM card, or chip, to enable that.

For your situation, you can tell that warning message either yes or no, doesn't really matter unless you are about to travel to another country. Personally, I'd say No, and leave it on CDMA.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Hello,

Nope...not an SM card...not your memory card...but a SIM card...see these:

It is the card that identifies your BB to GSM networks. CDMA networks do not rely on the SIM to identify the BB. On BB's with multiple network (e.g., GSM and CDMA) capabilities, the prompt is exactly what it means...do you want the BB to automatically select your carrier network or do you want to manually select your carrier network?

popdo wrote:

Will this end up costing me extra money?

Depends on your contract with your primary carrier. If you have free roaming, then you'll be able to roam on other networks for free (pretty rare, btw).

I suggest you contact your carrier for formal assistance with properly registering your BB onto their network.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,950
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

It's a routine question I get often on my CDMA devices, and unless you roam into another country, there's really no problem.

If you're traveling internationally, you'll want to call your carrier anyway and set up an international calling and data plan.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.