Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Upgrading Curve 8310 to OS 4.5 - Need help!

I have read many of these posts in this forum and have done everything that was reccommended. I have a BB Curve 83.10 with OS 4.22 installed. I am running Desktop software 4.7. I am trying to upgrade to OS 4.5. I have AT&T for my carrier and aware they have not released it yet. I have deleted the vendor.xml file and tried to update but i get that error bad connection and try again or it STILL says you are already running the latest version of software. And this is with that vendor.xml file deleted completely! I have rebooted and tried several ways. Can anyone point out what I doing wrong here?  thanx!
Solutions: 6,134
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Upgrading Curve 8310 to OS 4.5 - Need help!

1. Make certain your USB cable is connected to one of the PC's main rear USB ports. Not a USB hub, nor a monitor USB port, nor a USB port on the front of the PC.

2. Read this:  http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/159789-why-won-t-my-os-update-i-delete...

Good luck.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

I have done everything step by step. still the same 2 messages, either my software is up to date or unable to connect please try again later. I am doing this on a newer HP notebook and I have 3 USB ports on here and have tried all of them. I must be missing something...very frustrating

ok, let's be specific: When do you get the connection error message?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

Thanx for the help! I plug my usb cable into my notebook and my BB and do a thourough search for that vendor.xml file. If I see it I delete and search again for sure.. Load the update from the BB site and it aumatically loads the updater program and connetcs to my BB and that's when it gives me the message. Ill try it again and the same thing. I removed desktop mgr and updater4.7 and reinstalled them again without the auto update option.
Regular Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: ATT

Updating throught the BB Update will NOT update an ATT phone. It is pin based- ATT has not released it yet.

You must follow instructions posted in threads to install another carrier's OS.

Contributor

ragorman, im confused now since the other posts stress there is only 1 OS software and other carriers add thier crap and advertisements to it making it thier own. What is the "pin" deal with AT&T? If i download and install another carrier's version (alltell or verizon, etc..) will i have to deal with thier branded items on my AT&T phone?

Whoa, stop. lol, you are thinking too much.

If you want the OS 4.5 from another carrier you must load it manually and NOT used the web-based upgrade.

Here is a link the latest OS 4.5 for the 8310

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8300-series-discussion-curve/159564-latest-os-8310-4-5-0-134...

Follow those instruction EXACTLY as listed (and you WILL need to delete the vendor.xml file again) and you will be fine.

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

JS,

thanx for the chill pill.... need a drink over this stuff... I am going to follow exactly as instructed and will update when completed. i think it is version 4.5.0.99, im assuming its the latest?  there are tons of versions out there.. hard to pick which is latest. Thanx

The link I posted is THE latest released OS by a carrer for you device model.

.99 = yesterday's news

.102 = latest

Knowledge Base Updates