Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

becker
My Device: Not Specified

Using Blackberry as a Modem in Australia

I teach online and often use my Blackberry while traveling here in the States. We will be going to Australia and New Zealand for three weeks, and I would like to be able to use my Blackberry there as a modem without incurring enormous charges.

Is there a way I can do this?

I really appreciate any help anyone can provide.   :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
BBsingh
My Device: 8120, Storm, 8200

Re: Using Blackberry as a Modem in Australia

well you will be roaming using your US providers service, i beleive there will be lt of charges as it will all be considered as roaming. You are better off buying a data sim from local Australian service provider to use it as a modem.
Click on KUDOS to appreciate our efforts and mark the thread RESOLVED if your issue is resolved.
Please use plain text.
becker
My Device: Not Specified

Thank you very much.  Could you tell me where I can buy a data sim?
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
BBsingh
My Device: 8120, Storm, 8200

Following are the BlackBerry service providers in Australia, you can get the data enabled SIM from oneof them, once you are there:

Hutchison 3G Australia Pty Ltd, Optus, Telstra, Vodafone Australia

Click on KUDOS to appreciate our efforts and mark the thread RESOLVED if your issue is resolved.
Please use plain text.
Developer
Gareth
My Device: 8520, 9700

Ensure that if you go this route of attaining a local Australian Data Sim and still use your BlackBerry, that your BlackBerry is not a Locked Handheld. To unlock via the correct channel, this would need to be logged with your Carrier BlackBerry/Data Support team, explain to them in detail that you are travelling and will be getting a local SIM for use in Australia. They will process and request from RIM, the device PIN and IMEI will be needed from you. They should provide you with the How To in order to unlock, if not here it is.

The procedure for unlocking the device is as follows:

Ensure there is either a home SIM (accepted), or no SIM in the device

Select 'Options'

Select 'SIM Card'

Hold down the shift key, whilst typing 'MEP2'

Dialogue box appears with code prompt

Input unlock code

To use as a modem:

To connect a computer to the Internet using a GPRS, EDGE or UMTS BlackBerry smartphone as a tethered modem, see KB05196. To connect a computer to the Internet using a CDMA or EVDO BlackBerry smartphone as a tethered modem, see KB04664.

Please use plain text.