Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
stiche
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

VPN Client software for a non-BES BlackBerry

Hello all,

I've seen a few postings regarding VPN software for BlackBerrys, but nothing that quite fits my bill, so I'll try to be as specific as possible!

I am U.S. Military, and the email system that I currently use for "official" email is about to be shut down. (Don't ask, nobody is happy about it.) As a consequence, I will no longer have ready access to my official email on my BlackBerry. I do have access to two other email systems, but one requires a smart card, and the other requires that I be logged into a certain network.

I do NOT want to spend $200 on the Bluetooth smartcard reader...which to a degree I think defeats the point of security in the first place (bluetooth and smartcards!?!).

I would prefer to have the ability to VPN into the other network. On my home and laptop computers, I regularly use an IPSec VPN Tunnel to access the webmail server of the network I would like to use, but I can't get the VPN software on my Torch to connect to it, and then it would only do so when I am connected to WiFi.

Before anyone asks, NO, I am not important anough to get a BES BlackBerry issued to me...I asked.

YES, I am looking into BES Express...but this decision may not be rapid, and it will certainly not be mine (I'm not one of the IT guys...just and end user)

So, all I'm looking for is a VPN Client that can connect to a Nortel Contivity concentrator. I'm hoping, that with this, I'll be able to keep my official email on my personal BlackBerry again.

Does anyone think they have a solution? Please, bear in mind, that this MUST be and end user (client) VPN application. BTW, I will NOT be able to convince the "powers-that-be" to install ANYTHING on the servers. Period.

P.S. No, the network I need to connect to is not AKO, nor is it military (NMCI-N/NMCI-MC/AKO/AF-EMail/DKO...). It's a special government server.

Help!

Please use plain text.