Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Storm

Web-Based BlackBerry Device Software Upgrades

Product Overview

Web-based BlackBerry® Device Software upgrades are designed to provide BlackBerry smartphone users with a simple web-based upgrade solution for BlackBerry smartphones. BlackBerry smartphone users can upgrade their BlackBerry Device Software or switch from one device to another by using the tools available at http://www.blackberry.com/upgrades. Web-based BlackBerry Device Software upgrades eliminate the need to use BlackBerry® Desktop Manager to install or upgrade software, since installing software on a computer is not needed to access this website. Web-based BlackBerry Device Software upgrades have the ability to check for BlackBerry Device Software updates on startup; however, BlackBerry Device Software upgrades will be limited to bundles approved by the wireless service provider. 

NOTE: BlackBerry smartphones associated with a BlackBerry® Enterprise Server or with BlackBerry® Professional Software will be unable to use web-based BlackBerry Device Software upgrades.

Troubleshooting Information

KB16068 – Provides information on performing a BlackBerry Device Software upgrade

KB16069 – Provides information on web-based BlackBerry Device Software system requirements

KB16070 – Provides information regarding restrictions on the use of web-based BlackBerry Device Soft... 

KB16071 – Provides information on web-based BlackBerry Device Software upgrades

KB16072 – Provides information on no available updates found for your device

Want to learn how to use your BlackBerry® smartphone? Visit youtube.com/blackberry to help you get the most out of your BlackBerry smartphone!

Do you have questions about your BlackBerry smartphone?

Go to mobile.blackberry.com on your BlackBerry smartphone to enter your question and get instant answers! 

Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Web-Based BlackBerry Device Software Upgrades

Oh the irony!

Here I am thinking that RIM has finally created a solution for Mac users who can't upgrade their device software without a Windows machine and Desktop Manager. When I follow the link in the OP I find out that I need IE running on a Windows machine to do the web based software upgrade. Bummer.

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Biff wrote:
When I follow the link in the OP I find out that I need IE running on a Windows machine to do the web based software upgrade. Bummer.

Well, Internet Explorer 5.2 is available is available for OSX.

what I understand is this :
RIM couldn't get an "OS install" feature for MacOSX with a complete application
I really don't see how they could do the same thing web-based without requiring powerful coding. That leaves two possibilities :
ActiveX
Java applet
For the Java thing, security rights are usually too tight to allow anything complicated (meaning : Java applet is good for card games and for X.509 signing, but that's all). That leaves ActiveX. AJAX can't do an upgrade.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Regular Contributor

Actually IE is no longer supported or available for Mac. MS gave up on it when Safari became the default web browser for OSX years ago. 

Unfortunately I don't know enough about coding to fully follow the rest of your comments although I do know that ActiveX is also a MS only technology that does not work on Mac computers. I guess we'll have to wait and see if the rumoured RIM Desktop Manager software for Mac that is reported to be coming out in 2009 has the same functionality as the Windows version.

New Contributor

For blackberry softwares and personal upgrades, visit www.pocketberry.com. There you will get freeware software to download. You can download softwares for blackberry curve, blackberry bold, blackberry pearl and many more.
http://www.pocketberry.com
Regular Contributor

OK bilal12, I went to your site and found nothing related to upgrading the Blackberry OS which is the topic of this thread. I strongly suggest that before you hijack a thread by advertising your website that you be sure that you have something relevant to offer.
New Contributor

I think you didn't look into the site segment in detail :smileyhappy: don't comment if you are not confirmed. Please visit http://www.pocketberry.com/ota/ , there you will find everthing which is updated and completely matched to your needs. Doesn't matter if we recommend free stuff to the viewers, it seems very bad when you poiniting out someone.

Thanks,

http://www.pocketberry.com
Regular Contributor

Sorry bilal12 but you're the one who is missing the message here. This topic is about upgrading the "device software" which means the BB OS itself, not application software that is available for the BB. I rechecked your site as you suggested and while there is an good list of OTA downloads for software applications (and it would be more useful if you gave a description of each application as well as the cost), there is no information on updating the BB OS itself.
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think this is the right thread!!

I've just got my first Blackberry - Curve 8900 and was advised by my phone network to download the latest USB and Modem software from the Blackberry site. I went in, found the drop down which had that file, entered all my details, scrolled down to the DM 4.7 B50 13.904 mb 11/17/08 English and clicked download and then got a page saying File Not Found.

I've tried a couple of times now and wondered what, if anything, I am doing wrong?

Any help or advice please?

I also had the same problem when I tried to download the Desktop Software and when I posted in that thread found another user with the same problem!

Is it possibly a problem using Firefox rather than IE?

Message Edited by kaydee on 03-12-2009 09:28 AM
Message Edited by kaydee on 03-12-2009 09:59 AM
Regular Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810

kaydee- it is quite possible that Firefox is the problem. It lacks the activeX that the installer uses. Try it with IE and you might notice a few things that aren't on the Firefox page. I found that I couldn't upgrade to 4.5 through the Blackberry site because of this. Using IE it went right through no problem.