Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

My Device: Not Specified

Why no offline navigation s/w for BB ? :'(

This is my first post so be nice :smileysad:

I do not understand, wht is there no app or software that support on device maps (just to be clear, maps stored no memory card, NO DATA USED AT ALL)? BB is used by not only business people, but general people like me who does have data plan. WM, even iPhone have offline navigation why not BB?

I am sure there are more than enough users that would like to see this happen....

Any perticular reason or just it is not there because no body wants to develope it ? :smileyfrustrated: :smileyfrustrated:

Thank you for your replyyyy :smileyhappy:

Visitor
My Device: BB 9000
My Carrier: -

Re: Why no offline navigation s/w for BB ? :'(

I registered this forum for a similiar question. I don't wanna open a new topic.

BB data plan isn't enough for any time and any location!

Because the solutions only work for where you can have GSM signals, otherwise you can't download any map to your BB screen. At the same time your GPS is still working  and show a balloon on empty map!

I am not sure that but I understand from this forced internet based navigation system is that; because of in US or in EU, all of the regions are under coverage of GSM signals. I don't see any reactions in forums/blogs... etc to BB's restriction to navigation firms. So that who has a BB data plan can use GPS navigation system where in developed countries!

For example in my country, signals between cities are very weak, almost there isn't any signal for a long time for all GSM firms that are working.

At this times how can I use GPS of my BB phone without any GSM signal?
BB's GPS solutions are only work in GSM coverage area.

All Navigation firms have offline/standalone solutions for any platform of telephones except BB. 
Why?What is the aim of this restriction?

I am sorry about my poor English but I am so angry (Yesterday I bought my BB bold and I am so sad. :smileysad:) and I want to ask, people who live in west countries like you, how can use without offline support? 

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Vodafon Germany

Yes this is really odd. We have a lot of BlackBerry Users in our company that travel a lot into other Countrys. Since transmitting Data in other Countrys is verry expensive we are desperatly looking for a propper offline-navigation Software for our Devices.

Visitor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Optus

Like you, I also bought BB Torch because it had a GPS receiver.  I use GPS more than browsing or e-mail & I liked the looks of the Torch and decided on it to replace my HTC TyTN II which is already defective.  Only after buying it did I realize that there is no Navigation Software similar to Sygic or Co-Pilot that works with it.  I could subscribe to a Navigation software from my phone service provider but for an additional cost. My good Sygic Navigation software is now useless.  I've tried the so called Blackberry Navigation Solution.  I find it laughable it is more likely to cause you to have an accident that help you get to your destination as you need to look at the small screen to see where you're going rather than just listen to voice instruction.  My only solution is to literally torch my BB phone & buy a new HTC.

So really RIM?  Why do you ignore the need of your clients?

Visitor
My Device: 8900
My Carrier: Vodafone

Well guys,

there is an App exactly offering the wished function to display map tiles from SD-Card and such working completely offline! Even a search for Points of Interest in offline mode and basic navigation is implemented.

-> nogago Outdoor

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/13904?lang=en

This app is for outdoor people and not for cars!

My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Orange

Dude i thinks your not getting it, let me explain.......these people are talking about car navigation my dear fellow, any Tom,**bleep**, or Harry can get a offline solution for walking left to right up or bloody down GPS! for crying out loud wake up will yeah! the fact i felt the need to regester just so i could comment on your comment is all that really needs to be said! now you go back off to bed and wake up thinking properly, okey doke.