Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
vuldub
My Device: Storm2

Re: Wifi access, data roaming off

I haven't disregarded your alternative solution, I understand that turning the mobile network off, then data services on while roaming, then connect to wifi - eliminates access fees for data - that solution is commonly described. 

It's just odd to me that BB has two option selections for data service rather than bundled it into one, so I have been trying for sometime to get clarification that second option,  When Roaming "OFF" shuts down the wifi too.  My service provider could not answer that and neither could BB support.  I have asked the question before on other forums and those responses confuse the two options, so I tried to be thorough this time with the explanation. 

I wanted to find someone who had some real life experience with this.  Since you can confirm from experience that it does not  work, I will use the solution that I am familiar with and as you described.  Your last post was the answer that I was looking for.  Thanks.

JSanders
Solutions: 6,028
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

You're welcome.

The purpose of the "off when roaming" alternative is to not run up data bills when roaming, since some carriers might have a voice roaming agreement with other carriers, but not for data, and users return home to find hundreds of dollars of roaming data charges.

The advent of WiFi allowed the alternative for data via WiFi, I am guessing you know all that with the research you've done.

Good luck.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
SAL911
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

I have just spent over 45 mins on the phone to customer services at O2 (UK) with this exact same question. I got passed on by three people who all couldn't answer me. Eventually, after becoming frustrated with them I accepted the guys answer (not believing him of course) that leave data 'on' and data whilst roaming 'off' and i would still be able to access WiFi.

I really feel they should have an option when roaming allowing the use of data via WiFi and also use the mobile network for voice and sms. The reason I want the mobile network to be on aswell as WiFi is that my sms useage will be free whilst roaming. (Well maybe not totally free but will use up 4 messages out of my allowance for every sms I send).

I tried connecting with the sim card out thinking maybe it will allow use of WiFi.... but it acts in the same way as if the data is turned off. It picks up the WiFi but the WiFi sign stays grey.

Contributor
SAL911

I am roaming at the moment using a BB 8900 curve and via options-mobile network I set data services to 'off when roaming'. I can still manage to use all my data services when connected via WiFi. As soon as I leave the designated WiFi area I lose data services.

sinbbgal

I am roaming at the moment using a BB 8900 curve and via options-mobile network I set data services to 'off when roaming'. I can still manage to use all my data services when connected via WiFi. As soon as I leave the designated WiFi area I lose data services.

- i get the same experience with my BB 9700 while i was in new york using the hotel's wifi services.

cbjindia

Hi JSanders - you reckon this is a bug in the 9800? My old 9000 did a great job connecting to wifi when roaming with the mobile network on and data services set to "off while roaming". This allowed for receiving voice and text, browsing only when connected to wifi and most importantly no data charges.
permeti
My Device: curve

how do i watch videos from youtube i was told to conect to wifi in the compiuter   how do i do that??

etmond
lampujogja
My Device: blackberry 9700, AT&T

[ Edited ]

vuldub wrote:

Okay, thanks again. 

I want to be crystal clear on this as there is a lot of misunderstanding on this issue on this forum.

You stated :

"However, when the traveler is moving about, say across the French countryside and there is no WiFi, she will be will charged for data if the Mobile Network is on and receiving data."

My specifics were:

Mobile network, ON

Data services, ON

While roaming, OFF

Wifi ON, preferred, connected hopefully, but if not available, then unconnected.

With these settings (leaving them unchanged)  I should not be charged for mobile network data services as it is turned off for roaming.  I should be able to access data services when the wifi has found a connection.  Correct?

hi, i know this is a very old subject, just in case somebody jumped to this page with the same question....

the answer is "yes, you are correct"

JSanders
Solutions: 6,028
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

lampujogja wrote:

hi, i know this is a very old subject, just in case somebody jumped to this page with the same question....

the answer is "yes, you are correct"

Exactly, thanks.

Look to the left under your name on your post. You might want to remove your phone number from your forum profile here,... not a great idea to advertise your phone number on an open forum like this. Unless you intended to do so.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
poppet10
My Device: 9810 torch

I have read this thread with great intrest as I am currently in France. I have set up my connection so it would "catch" my mum's Wifi. however, the only way emails can be sent is by turning data services on and roaming on. So far, I haven't used any browsing, social network or emails sending because I am worried that because the roaming is turned on, I will be severely charged by my supplier. I am sorry if I do not used technical terms (i am not much of a technology geek) but in simple terms: if my data services in ON, my roaming is ON and my WIFI set up locally, will I be charged for accessing the social networking and emails? 

Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thank you