Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
Spiderman
My Device: Torch 9800

Windows live.com email account configured differently than hotmail account; functions differently

[ Edited ]

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but not new to BlackBerry.

I'm having an issue with one of my Windows Live accounts configured in BIS - my live.com account is not behaving the same as the hotmail and msn accounts I have configured, specifically:

• Emails sent from my BlackBerry are not saved in the live.com Sent items folder.
  • Email sent to the live.com account seems to be treated as pop3/pull, only arriving on the device up to 15 minutes after they're sent.
To answer a couple of obvious questions:
  • The email account is correctly configured to "Save all sent messages in the Sent items folder".
  • This account is not being otherwise used by anything like Outlook or Windows Live Messenger.
  • I have tried deleting the account and recreating it.
  • I have tried deleting the service books and resending them.
  • I have tried a battery pull.
I noticed something when I was setting up the account again: the edit page for my live.com had a couple of differences from the edit pages for my hotmail and msn accounts, namely, it has a field for "Your name" (hotmail & msn accounts don't), the background of the password field is white instead of yellow, and it has the option to Synchronize Deleted Items (hotmail & msn accounts don't). These pictures should help illustrate the differences:

live.com_email_account_config.jpg

hotmail.com_email_account_config.jpg

Something else that's different, when I resend the service books for all my email accounts, my live.com account is the only one that receives the "Action Required: Leave messages on the server" email (I'm sure you're familiar with it so I'm not going to copy & paste the contents).

Another thing I noticed was the routing of mail messages, when sent from my BlackBerry, was different between the live.com and hotmail/msn accounts - it appears that the live.com account is being routed differently (betwen the blackberry and hotmail servers) than the others are, which might account for some of the behavior I'm experiencing. Here are the headers of the emails as they were received (I've sanitized the email addresses & hilited the obvious differences):

Sent from my live.com account on my BlackBerry

X-Message-Delivery: Vj0xLjE7dXM9MDtsPTE7YT0xO0Q9MTtTQ0w9MA==

X-Message-Status: n

X-SID-PRA: Me Live <myaccount@live.com>

X-AUTH-Result: NONE

X-Message-Info: JGTYoYF78jHsOrLRHsjYPHz2LLKrJhJEnuJenwJrsNM7wCsQezGIPZiRDbk9GebwWS8B2e0H4GF6ioE5zH4LTEvVWUFPE7YtHO3DgrXVib665gtjdZnGqQ==

Received: from smtp17.bis.na.blackberry.com ([216.9.248.59]) by col0-mc3-f47.Col0.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.4675);

Wed, 16 Feb 2011 20:34:09 -0800

Received: from bda231.bisx.prod.on.blackberry (bda231.bisx.prod.on.blackberry [172.20.228.131])

by srs.bis.na.blackberry.com (8.13.7 TEAMON/8.13.7) with ESMTP id p1H4KpFO022366;

Thu, 17 Feb 2011 04:34:09 GMT

X-rim-org-msg-ref-id: 1643875307

Message-ID: <1643875307-1297917249-cardhu_decombobulator_blackberry.rim.net-1337148575-@bda231.bisx.prod.on.blackberry>

Reply-To: myaccount@live.com

X-Priority: Normal

Sensitivity: Normal

Importance: Normal

Subject: Test from BB

To: "Me MSN" <myaccount@msn.com>

Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 04:34:09 +0000

MIME-Version: 1.0

Return-Path: SRS0=ae1+NZ=VO=live.com=myaccount@srs.bis.na.blackberry.com

X-OriginalArrivalTime: 17 Feb 2011 04:34:09.0995 (UTC) FILETIME=[EB9509B0:01CBCE5B]

Sent from my MSN account on my BlackBerry

X-Message-Delivery: Vj0xLjE7dXM9MDtsPTA7YT0xO0Q9MTtTQ0w9MA==

X-Message-Status: n

X-SID-PRA: Me MSN  <myaccount@msn.com>

X-SID-Result: Pass

X-AUTH-Result: PASS

X-Message-Info: JGTYoYF78jG4DjMm6IfGLLqAQDSArukZrQmCareb278RPswyGYY3fzsGmzU17Aqjrq+Vsbh3Cb+BFnU+eVPlxkya85QKy+uz2vqQKXPCS6pjirs33PiwIg==

Received: from col0-omc2-s13.col0.hotmail.com ([65.55.34.87]) by SNT0-MC2-F35.Snt0.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.4675);

Wed, 16 Feb 2011 20:34:43 -0800

Received: from COL122-DS1 ([65.55.34.73]) by col0-omc2-s13.col0.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.4675);

Wed, 16 Feb 2011 20:34:42 -0800

X-Originating-IP: [10.8.208.79]

X-Originating-Email: [myaccount@msn.com]

Message-ID: <COL122-DS18CA80030C9100B28DC44BDD50@phx.gbl>

Return-Path: myaccount@msn.com

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-15"

Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

To: "My Live " <myaccount@live.com>

Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 04:34:42 +0000

Subject: Re: Test from BB

X-OriginalArrivalTime: 17 Feb 2011 04:34:42.0975 (UTC) FILETIME=[FF3D62F0:01CBCE5B]

Reply from BB

------Original Message------

To: Me MSN

Subject: Test from BB

Sent: Feb 16, 2011 9:34 PM

As you can see, the message sent from the live.com account uses mostly blackberry servers, and ESMTP, whereas the msn account uses only hotmail/msn servers, and Microsoft SMTPSVC.

I called AT&T, but they can't even see a difference between the accounts (they don't see what I I included snapshots of), and since I can send and receive email (even though sent items aren't saved on the server, and email isn't received instantaneously), as far as they're concerned, it's not their problem.

Like I said, the live.com account seems to be configured differently, and appears as if it's not being routed the same way as my hotmail/msn emails are (when sent from my BlackBerry), so I'm hoping somebody can either confirm my suspicions and tell me how it can be fixed (or fix it for me), or explain to me why it's different, and why it cannot be fixed.

Thanks in advance!

New Contributor
jare4evr
My Device: Bold 9650

Re: Windows live.com email account configured differently than hotmail account; functions differently

Im having a problem with my MSN account not coming immeditaly also it takes a while, my gmail one comes instently but MSN doesnt, any idea why?

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Windows live.com email account configured differently than hotmail account; functions differently

jare4evr wrote:

Im having a problem with my MSN account not coming immeditaly also it takes a while, my gmail one comes instently but MSN doesnt, any idea why?

Hello,

The documented interval for email retrieval is 15 minutes. Some email systems can deliver faster than that due to their ability to better integrate with BIS. But, anything within 15 minutes or so is considered WAD - Working As Designed.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
Spiderman
My Device: Torch 9800

Where is this documented?

I've been searching the internet trying to find a Service Level Agreement between BlackBerry and Windows Live Hotmail, but if the document says anything at all, then it's only that Windows Live Hotmail emails are pushed, like this Microsoft Press Release:

The integration of Windows Live services into the BlackBerry platform will allow customers who use Windows Live Hotmail and Windows Live Messenger on their BlackBerry smartphone to benefit from the BlackBerry platform architecture with the ability to communicate in real time using push technology, and an exceptional mobile communications experience.

Having to wait up to 15 minutes is not real time... 

This ties back to my original post - I am having issues with one of 4 Windows Live email accounts that I have set up in BIS. All 3 of the others get pushed instantaneously, and save copies of items sent from my BlackBerry in their respective Sent Items folder. All I'm wanting is that my fourth Windows Live email account function the same as teh other 3.

If someone could tell me how I can go about getting this one account fixed, that would be great... but barring that, can somebody please point me to the documentation that says that what I'm experiencing is Working As Designed (and I'm SOL).

Thanks