Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
charlesbaz
My Device: Bold 9790 and Bold 9700
My Carrier: StarHub

Re: blackberry messenger contact list backup

Hello,

I have a weekday phone (Bold 9700 OS6 v6.0.0.723) and a weekend phone (Bold 9790 OS7 v7.1.0.336). Due tp the nature of my work, security has placed a security seal over my 9700's media card; so I won't be able to restore my BBM contacts by simply swapping media cards.

On a Friday, like today, I will use the 9790 after work. Before moving my sim card from the 9700 to the 9790, I will usually backup my phone using Blackberry Protect and backup my BBM contact list onto the device or the media card. I will then send the ".con" file over to the 9790 via bluetooth.

*I won't use "backup remotely via email" because it takes quite a while to restore the contacts remotely.

** I won't use Desktop Manager because I will be out and away from my computer to do a device switch.

After turning off the 9700 and start using the 9790 and restoring data from blackberry protect and the BBM contacts from the transferred ".con" file, all is well until Sunday night when I want to transfer a new ".con" file from the 9790 to the 9700.

I cannot find the send function once I hit the BB menu key after locating the file using "Files". There simply is no option to send the file than to physically connect the devices to a computer and copy it across phones.

Am I the only one who can't find the send option? Please help!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
charlesbaz

*CLARIFICATION*
I can send the BBM contact backup ".con" file from the 9700(OS6.0) to the 9790(OS7.1) by accessing the file from Files and sending it by Bluetooth, but cannot find the send option in the menu when trying to send the file from the 9790 to 9700.
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,894
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Interesting, just checked on my OS7.1 device, and the "send" function is not present either... must be a difference in OS6 and 7.1, perhaps.

But, on the '.con' file, I did click the rename the file and changed the extension to ".txt" and the send function was present, so I'd suggest you do that, and once the file has been transferred over to your 9700, rename the file back to ".con"

Good luck.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
charlesbaz

Haha wow that's pretty clever! Thanks Sanders, I'll give it a go next time.
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,894
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Good luck, should work.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

you want to fetch the pin of that person ? Who deleted you ?

I'm not sure why you would want to do that...
... but here is a possibility if you have activated the "save chats" feature. You can browse your device memory or your media card memory in search of the BBm chat logs. They should have a filename that contains the PIN of your past BBm friend.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.