Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
rudz08m
My Device: Not Specified

can't update my blackberry bold 9000 os v 4.6 into v5

I keep on trying to update my os but i always received a message stating that
their is no available update... how come their is no available update... when os v5 is
a new os and states that is compatible to blackberry bold 9000... Can someone help me sort out
the problem...
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: can't update my blackberry bold 9000 os v 4.6 into v5

Hello,

From a PC, you can install any OS package to a BB via this procedure:

Note that while written for "reload", it can be used to upgrade, downgrade, or reload -- it all depends on the OS package you download and install to your PC. You can even use a different carriers OS package by simply inserting, between steps 1 and 2, the deletion, on your PC, of a file named VENDOR.XML. Be sure that you remove, from your PC, any other BB device OS packages as having more than one installed to the PC can cause conflicts with this procedure.

If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
zephyros

hi, don't mean to jack this thread, but i have a slightly different issue...i just notice that I have accidentally jacked my personal BB into my work's network and that caused my BB to activate the Enterprise? 

could someone explain it more cause i'm not sure what I did wrongly. I just installed a regular desktop manager on my work laptop and have been using it for backup, loading  and charging purposes only. 

now from home I just updated my wife's BB and when I tried mine, I was unable and it prompted me something about being an Enterprise BB.

any help would be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

zephyros wrote:

hi, don't mean to jack this thread, but i have a slightly different issue...i just notice that I have accidentally jacked my personal BB into my work's network and that caused my BB to activate the Enterprise? 

could someone explain it more cause i'm not sure what I did wrongly. I just installed a regular desktop manager on my work laptop and have been using it for backup, loading  and charging purposes only. 

now from home I just updated my wife's BB and when I tried mine, I was unable and it prompted me something about being an Enterprise BB.

any help would be appreciated.

Hello,

I can't tell you how you managed to activate your BB on BES, but if it's not supposed to be so, you have two steps to accomplish:

1) Go see the BES admins and have them remove your BB from BES.

2) Follow this procedure to remove the IT Policy from your BB so that you won't have those restrictions:

You must do step 1 first...otherwise, even after you do step 2, the BES server may still reach out and automatically re-activate on the BB...returning you back to the beginning.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
zephyros

confirmed it's not in my BES. that's why it's so strange. my desktop manager keeps saying there are no updates for my mobile. but mine is still 4.6.1.310

I've tried the method u mentioned and also the blank file replacement thingy. still wouldn't let me upgrade to 5.xx for my curve 8900

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

zephyros wrote:

confirmed it's not in my BES. that's why it's so strange. my desktop manager keeps saying there are no updates for my mobile. but mine is still 4.6.1.310

I've tried the method u mentioned and also the blank file replacement thingy. still wouldn't let me upgrade to 5.xx for my curve 8900

Wait...hang on...is your BB activated on BES or not? I can't quite tell from what you've said. If it is not (yet it indeed was), then you need to run the resettofactory method in the link I provided...I didn't provide you anything about a "blank file replacement thingy". Further, you need to run the resettofactory using the OS package (installed to your PC) that matches the OS version you have installed on your BB. Only after all of that will you be able to attempt the upgrade. Lastly, rather than reporting back with "still wouldn't let me upgrade", some details would help...the exact steps you attempt and the exact results you receive.

Thanks!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
zephyros

i've already ran the reset factory via link you gave. everything was back to default. i didn't even restore my contact list or anything, just left it bare. I've double checked, I'm already registered and still is (for the past 2 years) on the BES. 

the blank file replace is to remove the IT policy I found in another thread. 

as for steps, I just plugged in my phone, ran the Desktop Manager, and selected "Update my Device" with my BB plugged in. 

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

OK I'm really confused again. Earlier you said you accidentally just recently activated on BES. Now you say you've been on BES for 2 years. If you've been on BES for 2 years, what is the reason for trying to come off of it? And, if you have a valid reason to come off of it, then the steps above will do so. I've no idea what is going on now. Could you kindly re-state the problems from scratch, in one post, so that we can piece together what is happening?

Thanks!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
zephyros

okok let's start over. i think i got all the info all confused. 

This BB is my personal BB. I have been using it for 2 years. I've just recently upgraded my Desktop Manager. When I plugged my wife's BB (same model) into the PC, it allowed me to upgrade to version 5.x. Then when I plugged mine in, it showed there was no software upgrades for me. Mine was stuck at 4.x. When it said that no upgrades were available, it also mentioned that mine has enterprise enabled,  and should consult my administrator if there are any upgrades for my BB.

ps: what's BES? seems i got my definition wrong.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

OK...that is waaaay different than the direction we were going...so let's ignore all the prior stuff and go from here. Just to be 100% clear, let me re-state with some proper terminology...

• You've had this BB for 2 years, and it has never been part of a corporate environment...always has been a personal use (BlackBerry Internet Service -- BIS) BB only.

• You upgraded the Desktop Software, and it then allowed an upgrade of your wife's BB.

• When connected your BB to the PC, it did not offer an update and said something about it being enterprise enabled (too bad we don't have the exact message...that always helps).

OK...I think that's it. So, if you've never been part of corporate BES and you've run the resettofactory process, you should now be able to update your BB with no problems. Did you try?

BES = BlackBerry Enterprise Solution...a set of infrastructure, typically hosted inside of a corporation, to enable corporate-owned BB's to have full access to the corporate messaging system (e.g., Exchange). You'd know if you were on BES.

The fact that it said something about Enterprise makes me wonder about the origins of that BB...it is highly unusual (though not unheard of) for a truly brand new BB to have any hints of BES activation...but, since you've done the resettofactory, that should no longer be an issue.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.