Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

Contributor
zozzi
My Device: Pearl 3G 9105

google apps mail / sync problem

hello,

we have google apps email setup through blackberry website - emails are received but:

• when email is read/deleted on handheld, it becomes read/deleted on google webmail & outlook too - this is OK

• when email is read/deleted on PC, the copy in handheld is still unread - it's a bit confusing to delete the mails all the day from handheld ;-( this is fault !

• on 9700 OS5 - there's a email remote search in menu, but on 9100 OS6 there's NO remote search

my questions:

1. how to setup email to sync the read/deleted emails from PC to not disappear from handheld without need to delete each message
  2. how to configure remote search ???

I checked that email problems it with 3 different BB phones running BIS

Retired
hmthepirate
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: google apps mail / sync problem

Hello zozzi,

Are you using the Google Gmail application or is the Gmail account integrated using BlackBerry Internet Services?

If you are using the mobile app, you will need to contact Google for support, as it is a 3rd party application.

If you are using BIS, there are few configurations you can enable on your device.

in your Messages folder, hit Menu>Options and look for Email Reconciliation. Ensure the Gmail account is showing for Message Service. 

For Delete On, you can change it to Prompt or Handheld. This way, you can either remove it from both the BlackBerry and your Gmail account or just the BlackBerry only.

If you wish to not have the wireless reconcile enabled at all, you can turn it off. This way, the computer and the BlackBerry are independent and what you do on the PC won't reflect on your BlackBerry and vice versa.

As for the search, with software versions, not all the same features maybe available.

Hope this helps.

-HMthePirate

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Contributor
zozzi

Hello,

thanks for reply.

I use google apps with my BIS account ...

I tried to play with your settings (but it looks like I setup them same way couple weeks ago)

but I still don't know how to deal with the following problem:

• when email is read/deleted on PC, the copy in handheld is still unread (as I don't check emails all the time while working on computer and it's a bit confusing to delete the mails all the day from handheld ;-( 
Retired
hmthepirate
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Send me a private message with your BlackBerry PIN and I will check into a few things for you :smileyhappy:

Thanks!

-HMthePirate

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Developer
bigc
My Device: 9000, 9780, 9900

but I still don't know how to deal with the following problem:

• when email is read/deleted on PC, the copy in handheld is still unread (as I don't check emails all the time while working on computer and it's a bit confusing to delete the mails all the day from handheld ;-( 

Isn't that just the way it works (today)?  It can take up to 6 hours.  See this from KB05133

Reconciliation changes from the mailbox to the BlackBerry smartphone might require up to 6 hours.

Contributor
zozzi

[ Edited ]

OK, I'll try not to delete emails from handheld but from PC only ... we'll see tomorrow ;-)

anyway, my reconciliation settings "mailbox wins" - I think this is OK, if I delete email from PC it should be deleted from handheld too ..

------

added:

just one note:

Orange SK BIS info

Note: Depending on your messaging service plan, this feature might not be supported.

how can I found more on this? I called operator's hotline but no success ;-((

Visitor
thatsteveguy
My Device: Bold 9700

FWIW, I'm using gmail through BIS and my experience has been the same. I've read from multiple sources that's just the way it is. I believe it's an issue with BIS.

If you want true two-way sync, then you have to use the official Google Gmail app. The downside is that e-mail is no longer "pushed" (I think it checks about every 10 minutes or so).

In the meantime, try following the directions here: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB13509

I don't have access to my BIS, so I can't try it.

Contributor
zozzi

[ Edited ]

Results for past 20 hours :

emails deleted from gmail are deleted from BB in less than 2 hours  ...  a bit of success ;-))

1) my "Reconcile" settings are as listed here:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB13509

2) I also changed my Google Apps settings according to 

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google%20Mobile/thread?tid=085ee57fe6553e3a&hl=en

Basically, setup email as normal. Make sure these settings are done:

-On BB:
--Delete on Handheld and Mailbox --Wireless Reconcile ON
-In Gmail:
-- Settings>Labs - Enable "Advanced Imap"
-- Settings>Forwarding and POP/IMAP - Enable IMAP, Do Not Automatically Expunge, Archive the Message
-- Settings>Labels - Uncheck "Show in IMAP" for the system label "Trash".
The Blackberry was putting the messages in the Trash folder, which synced it to Gmail's Trash folder. With no trash folder, the BB just expunges the message immediately, causing Gmail to archive the message. The key is the last setting - Do not show the Trash label/folder in IMAP! That's it!!

------------------------

UPDATE:

no emails read on PC are marked as read on BB too (so on BB they remain unread) ... any workaround to this?

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

It sounds like you are having success...good job!!

zozzi wrote:

no emails read on PC are marked as read on BB too (so on BB they remain unread) ... any workaround to this?

Well, that depends. I looked quickly back at your prior posts, but I can't quite tell the detail that is needed. Reconciliation is governed by this KB:

• KB05133Email reconciliation features for the BlackBerry Internet Service

But, all of that is strictly between the BB and the email server...when you say you read the item on your PC, is that using the GMail webmail interface? Or is that using an email app on your PC (e.g., Outlook). If the former (Gmail webmail), then the read status should propagate to your BB (it will, as with other things, be slow). On the other hand, if you are reading in Outlook and expecting that read status to propagate to the BB, that's asking for a but much...but it's not a BB/BIS failing. Rather, it's an Outlook failing...Outlook has no capability (to my understanding) of propagating read/unread status back to the GMail server when you deal with email within Outlook.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
zozzi

We have Google Apps for Business as a mail service. I understand how emails work with server and client

I usually read emails at work using Outlook via Google Apps Sync ... read/unread status PC <-> Google is transfered correct, no problem with this at all.

While at home I read emails using Gmail web client and while dealing with those blackberry workarounds from time to time I read email using gmail web interface on BB 

I know that Google Mobile Sync doesn't support emails on blackberry yet. BIS works with IMAP and somewhere something is wrong in my opinion.

sdgardne wrote:

On the other hand, if you are reading in Outlook and expecting that read status to propagate to the BB, that's asking for a but much...but it's not a BB/BIS failing. Rather, it's an Outlook failing...Outlook has no capability (to my understanding) of propagating read/unread status back to the GMail server when you deal with email within Outlook.

I'm sorry but I don't agree with you. Outlook read/unread status is propagated to Gmail (web based client) in no time. This really works great. 

Also read status is propagated from BB to Gmail (and Outlook too) - this takes a minute or so.

Deletion from BB works too (even it throws emails into newly created Deleted Mails folder - and not Trash)

Yesterday I tried to leave unread emails on BB while reading/deleting them on PC/Gmail. Deleted emails from PC/Gmails were deleted from BB in 2 hours. But read status on BB remains until now ;-(

anyway, while I use my business email heavily , I will spent  time in elevators and traffic in car to deleting emails from handheld ... that's a part of the deal of Google / Blackberry solution :-))