Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

Contributor
fmcool
My Device: Not Specified

gps on 8130

on my new gps 8130, when i click start gps imeditally i get a message that saids unable to acquire gps lock, i have talked to my wireless provider and they said they can't help me,

a few people have told me that the internal gps is no good and the only way to get it to work is to stand out side on a clear day where there is nothing restricting you and the atmosphere. (but this still doesn't work)

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
JeremyKitching
My Device: Curve 8900

Re: gps on 8130

Who is your wireless service provider?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
pvdiamon
My Device: 9850 Torch

I have the 8130 with US Cellular and GPS is not very good.  Try a few things. First, reset the phone (use soft reset software that is free, or battery pull).  Then go to maps, options, hit menu and then Clear Cache and exit back to GPS.  I sometimes repeat the Clear Cache several times to get it to work.  Be outside with clear view to sky, and usually in a couple minutes it will lock on the satellites.  But it doesn't always do it quickly, it's rather unreliable.  I have inquired quite a bit about this and no one takes responsibility.  I didn't buy the phone for the GPS, but it is annoying to have something that works poorly.  When it works, it is kind of neat.  I've heard it works well on the Sprint phone version.

John

Please use plain text.
Contributor
fmcool
My Device: Not Specified

my provider is a really small providor called cellularsouth. and i've tried all the previous with no results, i have do have google maps installed with gives me a close proxcimity to where i am, it pinpoints me from cell towers around me. but i was just wondering if there was something i could download or do to fix the problem, but i'm guessing there's not. i guess if i want real gps i should just use a real gps device not a cell phone...

thanks for the help tho, and if anyone else has any ideas or imputs i'm always willing to try.

Please use plain text.