Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
iozzox
My Device: blackberry 9900

hello I'm new and need help.

I have a BB Bold 9900, my provider is Mobilicity, I don't know if I have a BSI with my provider. I have tried to find my OS # without any luck. This is my first smart phone as well as my first BlackBerry, when I was setting up BBM it had asked me to set a password as well as choose a e-mail, I did that. One day I went into my bbm and it asked for my password. I do not remember my password, but I remember my security question. When I type in my answer it tells me that my password has been sent to the e-mail I chose, but I don't know how to get to that e-mail. I have an e-mail account on my phone, but it is one that I set up recently. I have gone on to blackberry website to see if I could change my password, but it won't let me because it tells me my cookies is disabled. I have tried to enable my cookies with no luck. I have contacts which send me bbm's, but I can't read them, or even see who it was who sent it. I am beyond frustrated with this, I hope someone can help. Please.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: hello I'm new and need help.

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

You do have several things going on...so I'll try to divide them up in my reply.

Since you are receiving both email and BBM on your BB, you do indeed have a BIS-level account. BIS = BlackBerry Internet Service, a service delivered by your mobile service provider that enables the various services to which you subscribed.

Next, to determine your OS level, refer to this:

• KB23393 How to check the model number and version of installed BlackBerry device software on a BlackBerry smartphone

Now, as to your BB ID credentials. BBs are the most secure mobile devices available. As such, they depend heavily on the "human element" in maintaining that security. When the human "fails", sometimes the automated methods of recovery just aren't good enough. But, there are a few more things for you to understand.

For security reasons, those password reset emails are never sent to the BB. So, to get to them, you must have non-BB access to that email account. I don't know what type of account you used, but if it was one of the "hosted" type (e.g., @bb or @carrier), then those typically have only BB access to them. Which creates a catch-22 for your situation...you must have non-BB access to the email account so as to receive the password reset email, but you used an email account that can only be accessed from the BB. Fortunately, there is a workaround:

• KB28111 Unable to reset BlackBerry ID password when using a BlackBerry hosted email address

Basically you need to work with your carrier as they administer that email account...and get a forwarding rule put into that hosted email account, and forward those emails to something you can get to from other than the BB (e.g., gmail, yahoo, etc.). Then, generate again the password reset email, and retrieve/act upon it via that other email account (the one to which you set the forwarding).

As it stands for you, that is your only non-destructive fix...everything else would mean abandoning your existing BB ID, wiping your BB to a "factory fresh" condition, and starting over again.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
iozzox
My Device: blackberry 9900

Re: hello I'm new and need help.

Thank you very much for your response, I will try your suggestions. Cheers.