Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

mapping & directions software(s), GPS & DeLorme LT-40 Plus for PC

so i THINK i found flip 8220 t-mobile has map ( http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=Hello&message.id=46&query.id=730460#M... ) but i still have questions:

1) it's preloaded? and preloaded with ALL these locales ( http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devices/features/blackberry_maps.jsp#tab_tab_coverage ) even though im gonna get this phone somewhere in Southwest US (will/gonna be my 1st smartphone)? when new locales are addded, how do i update maps on my phone? can i download (DL)/update maps using my PC INSTEAD?...THEN transfer them to phone, using (which?): microSD? microUSB? BlueTooth? any other connectivity? any OTHER usable mapping software (maybe/especially FREE ones)?

2) is this(these) mapping/directions A-B software(s) location-aware at any moment in time--by displaying "YOU ARE HERE" on phone's screen (though maybe only text-based and visual/graphic-based instead of voiced turn-by-turn)?

3) do I need to also get a data plan to use these directions softwares?

3) all these questions apply/same for: Curve 8900 (BOTH T-Mobile AND AT&T)? BlackBerry BOLD?

4) I've got DeLorme LT-40 Plus for my PC (or sumthing like that--don't quite remember model description)...any way/shape/form can I use any part of this DeLorme package together w/ these 4 mentioned phones?

these are all questions I can think of for now...any other points regarding mapping/GPS anyone care to share/enlighten?
Contributor

Re: mapping & directions software(s), GPS & DeLorme LT-40 Plus for PC

help please, someone?
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

hello,

BlackBerry Maps and Google Maps and Amaze do not store the data. To use them, you need a cellular connection, and data will be downloaded when you need it. You can't download data first and store it somewhere on your device.

there is one third party application that allows you to download a map on your device, then use it. Unfortunately, I forgot the name.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor

so Xandrex, do u remeber now this 3rd party that'll let me have GPS functionalities/location-aware WHILE OFFline (like that day that Apple revealed the Apple iPad, my internet data plan went down Smiley Surprised )

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

try these

http://www.mgmaps.com/

http://wiki.trekbuddy.net/index.php/Main_Page

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Developer
My Device: 8350i for Nextel

Though the GPS locating is satellite, I believe most mapping programs are server based so the phone will need to be online to show the map with your current location.

If you want "offline" GPS, then you will need a GPS device (like TomTom) that can store maps. Most phones just do not have enough memory space to store a map of any large area (say more than a mile).

Contributor

so they don't have enough memories RAM whatnot...what IF Google Maps or BB Maps give us versions that can be stored on a microSD card (the phone I  finally went with since OP is Curve 8900 T-Mobile, which I think has max capability of 8GB or 16GB, can't remember which), then would will this work???

Developer
My Device: 8350i for Nextel

I'm not an expert on this, but I really don't see how it could. For a move map to work, it would take a lot more memory to store enough of an area to travel more than a mile or so. I think it would also slow down the the tracking accessing memory instead of streaming the information.

From my experience, when you go off a predetermined route, it takes a phone GPS mapping more time to recalculate then a GPS device.

The last GPS mapping I bought which was able to be used with a laptop that had a GPS antenna, it took two disks (before DVD disks) just for the State of New Jersey. Texas was 4 or 5. There is a lot of data and I really don't see any phone having enough memory with the current technology.

Visitor
My Device: Pearl 3G
My Carrier: Telstra

Try MGMaps, you would be surprised how much mapping info you can store on a 1Gb SD card.

I have been using it for a while and it is great. Cheers.

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

dutch13 wrote:

Try MGMaps, you would be surprised how much mapping info you can store on a 1Gb SD card.

I have been using it for a while and it is great. Cheers.

hello dutch13,

are you talking about this application Mobile GMaps ? http://www.mgmaps.com/

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: