Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

Contributor
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: Vodafone Spain

Re: no BIS over wifi

I've confirmed my worst feelings... **bleep**ing Vodafone is blocking BIS over wifi for limited data plans but not for unlimited ones. How do I know? Simple... We have to BB's at home, both with a 10Mb/month limited BB data plan. We have switched one BB to an unlimited BB data plan and... surprise! BIS over wifi is working again on that particular BB. This is unbelievable! 

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2582), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

jamdq wrote:

I've confirmed my worst feelings... **bleep**ing Vodafone is blocking BIS over wifi for limited data plans but not for unlimited ones. How do I know? Simple... We have to BB's at home, both with a 10Mb/month limited BB data plan. We have switched one BB to an unlimited BB data plan and... surprise! BIS over wifi is working again on that particular BB. This is unbelievable! 

Hello again,

I recognize that you are upset that this does not work the way you would like it to work. However, I do not IMHO find it to be "unbelievable". Rather, it makes quite reasonable business sense. As a limited data plan customer, you are paying the carrier a lower rate -- as such, you have access to fewer services. They must maintain a level of infrastructure to provide that WiFi-based Internet access to the BIS infrastructure. That would indicate a higher level of service than for other BB users...which, in our capitalist society, means a higher fee to receive higher level services. Far be it for a carrier to pass up an opportunity to increase their revenue, I think.

Best!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: 9520

What are you talking about? 6 Euro or 15 Euro.

All my phones are 15 Euros contract. Tomorrow I will talk again with Vodafone Spain. If you got solved one phone connection problem is that is Vodafone problem.

Contributor

sdgardne wrote:

Hello again,

I recognize that you are upset that this does not work the way you would like it to work. However, I do not IMHO find it to be "unbelievable". Rather, it makes quite reasonable business sense. As a limited data plan customer, you are paying the carrier a lower rate -- as such, you have access to fewer services. They must maintain a level of infrastructure to provide that WiFi-based Internet access to the BIS infrastructure. That would indicate a higher level of service than for other BB users...which, in our capitalist society, means a higher fee to receive higher level services. Far be it for a carrier to pass up an opportunity to increase their revenue, I think.

Best!

I do find it to be "unbelievable" since BIS was working over wifi before June 8th and stoped working without warning. Even worse, Vodafone's technical assistance isn't free and gives NO answer at all. I am really upset not only for BIS not working over wifi but for Vodafone NOT telling what's going on.

Vodafone has to maintain ANY infrastructure at all because the are not providing my wifi connection. It's the BB itself who makes the tunnel to BIS over MY own wifi connection. And I've the right to use it since I'm already paying for the BIS service.

Contributor

joalmoju wrote:

What are you talking about? 6 Euro or 15 Euro.

All my phones are 15 Euros contract. Tomorrow I will talk again with Vodafone Spain. If you got solved one phone connection problem is that is Vodafone problem.

I'm talking about the 6€ tariff which has a 10Mb/month limit. The exact moment I switched one of my BB's data plan from limited (6€) to unlimited (15€) that BB got BIS over wifi. I don't know why you are having the same issue since you already have an unlimited plan.

Please, let me know if you get further info or any solution. Thx!

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2582), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

jamdq wrote:

I do find it to be "unbelievable" since BIS was working over wifi before June 8th and stoped working without warning. Even worse, Vodafone's technical assistance isn't free and gives NO answer at all. I am really upset not only for BIS not working over wifi but for Vodafone NOT telling what's going on.

I agree 100%...but your complaint is best lodged with Vodafone (yes, as useless as they are to you). They control your BIS account along with all services to which you are entitled. The infrastructure is maintained in cooperation between RIM and the carriers. But it is the carrier who sets the rules as to what services they offer and allow to their customers over any and all conduit pathways to those services.

I don't know the regulations in your country, but it indeed sounds "wrong" that they would change your service access without notification. But, still, it's an issue with the carrier as they control what you can access.

jamdq wrote:

Vodafone has to maintain ANY infrastructure at all because the are not providing my wifi connection. It's the BB itself who makes the tunnel to BIS over MY own wifi connection. And I've the right to use it since I'm already paying for the BIS service.

I think you meant to say that Vodafone does not maintain...? Well, that's perhaps not 100% accurate. There is an authentication process for BIS access, regardless of pathway (WiFi or carrier data network). The authentication is provide by the carrier. And, even if it were true that there is zero added cost to the carrier to allow access via the WiFi pathway, that in and of itself does not mean that they would not charge an added fee.

As for the right to use it...that is a function of the contractual arrangement between you and your carrier.

I do encourage you to contact them as they are truly your sole recourse path for this. Be sure to get escalated to someone who is knowledgeable about this. As we all know, level 1 support can be haphazard at best.

Good luck.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780

[ Edited ]

Hello, I beleieve you are both wrong.

I'm an American living in Seville, Spain. I have a Vodafone Spain contract with UNLIMITED data coverage. I have a BlackBerry 8520 and have been using it without any issues since January 2010. My OS verison is 5.0.0.592.

Up until about a week ago, I have always had a solid white WiFi logo when connected to any wifi router. Then without warning or changes, the logo went from white to grey. I searched tirelessley for the past few days for a solution. Reading dozens of blogs only to get more and more frustrated.

Like the others, my device is connected to the wireless router and can access the internet, browse websites and do other things. However email services and other applications do not work. 

This is not a contract and carrier issue, as I said before, I have an unlimited data plan.

I've tried to following;

Rolling back my OS to 5.0.0.509

Rolling back my OS to 4.6.1.272

'Wiping' my BlackBerry using the utility found on the OS

Flashing my BB with JavaLoader (JL_Cmder) and reinstalling the operating system from scratch.

Logging into the BIS website and resending 'Service Books'

Registering my BB from the utility found on the OS

Also, if you look under WiFi Diagnostics under the 'BlackBerry Infrastructure' section there is a red X next to Connecting:

After all that, I found a blog (can't remember where) that said something about resetting the RIM Relay. We are not alone in this, and this isn't something only for Spain. I've found blogs all over the world with the same issue.

Trying to avoid customer support like the plage, I decided to give them a call.

Basically the support tech walked through all the basics, again, and it didn't work. However they did re-send new Service Books which I thought was nice. So after I finally argued with them for a bit, they decided to listen. I'm not a mobile device expert, but I am an IT professional and I do know what I'm talking about. I asked about the RIM Relay reset on their server, and they told me that this was controlled by BlackBerry or Research in Motion and they could not do this for me. Basically I'm SOL for the RIM Relay.

I've found more blogs about this issue since then, and there was something about a port not working on a server (this is probably the wrong address, but it's something like: eu.blackberry.com:430).

It's obvious that this is effecting others in Spain and other countries as well. We need to find a solution. I use this device in other countries and have the wifi radio on and the mobile network radio off. It worked perfectly for the past five months until last week.

Contributor

cjvervaet wrote:

[...]

I've found more blogs about this issue since then, and there was something about a port not working on a server (this is probably the wrong address, but it's something like: eu.blackberry.com:430).

It's obvious that this is effecting others in Spain and other countries as well. We need to find a solution. I use this device in other countries and have the wifi radio on and the mobile network radio off. It worked perfectly for the past five months until last week.

I'm sure you are talking about rcp.eu.blackberry.com:443

That's the URL and port used to access BIS over wifi. You can find it in options - advanced options - host routing table (HRT) - Wi-Fi (my BB's menu is in spanish and the menus I mentioned are translated into english and may not be exactly the same).

I made sure I can get to that URL and port from my wifi connection. (It's easy to try, on a windows PC just open a cmd window and type "telnet rcp.eu.blackberry.com 443". If you get an error it means you CAN'T get to BB's server. If you get a blinking cursor it means you are able to reach RIM's servers from your wifi connection.

I've talked once again with Vodafone's technical assistance and they've opened a ticket. Lets pray for a real answer and a solution. : )

Contributor

sdgardne wrote:

[...]

Good luck.

Thx! We will really need it to get a solution from Vodafone!

Contributor
My Device: 9520

this is frustrating, call vodafone and the response was the same.

with the previous cjvervaet's comment now I'm confused.

the truth is that I'm about to cancel my Vodafone blackberry contract because of the lack of information ...

will try to find out about "RIM relay"