Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2582), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: no BIS over wifi

cjvervaet wrote:

I too have experienced this exact issue since June 8th. I have been using BIS over wifi for the past six months without issue. This is a Vodafone issue, so the sad - smiley face is appropriate. The problem is, Vodafone - Spain is blocking the port that allows users the ability to access their BIS over wifi. When they block something intentional, this means it is their falt. It doesn't matter if you can access BIS via the mobile network or not. The way RIM and BIS are setup, is to allow users the ability to CHOOSE what type of connection they wish to use. If the user pays for a data plan, and that data plan is unlimited, and the user just so happens to have a wifi connection 'somewhere', they are allowed to pick what media transfer form they want to use. The intentional blocking of BIS over wifi is nothing more than a cheap way of getting your customers to utilize their data plans extensionally, in hopes to charge for extra data usage for those that don't have unlimited plans. Everywhere else on the planet that offers RIM and BIS for any mobile carrier, allows BIS over wifi. I have several colleagues that live in France, UK, Holland and Germany and they all have Vodafone with unlimited data plans for BIS. They ALL are able to use BIS over wifi. I was in Paris last week in our office, my colleague was connected to our corporate wifi as was I. His BIS over wifi worked fine, mine didn't. He has Vodafone, the same phone but has a plan in the UK. Anyone that tells you this isn't a Vodafone - Spain issue is either lying, or just clueless. 

Ahhh...now I understand. So, the subtlety is that your sad-smiley face is actually directed at the carrier rather than at RIM. That makes more sense now. These boards, being a RIM forum, aren't perhaps the best place to lodge issues with carriers. But, as information, your posts are very useful to others who might find themselves in a similar situation.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: 9520
My Carrier: Vodafone Spain

I also complain RIM, I should paid 60 euros to leave vodafone, If I make a contract with movistar, I should stay 18 month by contract. What happen if they do the same as Vodafone? 

RIM should not allow carriers to do those things. I read in other forums that other companies are making the same, that's why I will not get other blackberry.

I love my Storm2, but BBM without WIFI access force me to use other chat program and check the email in other way, so it transform my Storm2 in other phone.

Why I need BBM over WIFI?, well I live far away from a mobile towel, I can't get any signal. So I turn off the phone radio and use only WIFI (from my WIMAX internet suplier)

Anyway, it is my opinion.

Best regards

My Device: Blackberry Storm 2
My Carrier: Vodafone ES

I have the same problem since a few days...

Blackberry Storm 2 with Vodafone in Spain.

There's no solution?

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780

I think most people are here looking for a solution. Vodafone Spain is no help. They are horrible. An endless cycle of customer support people located in Mexico or Central America saying that it isn't Vodafone but rather RIM. We're told to ask RIM for a solution, then RIM tells us to ask our carriers. Back and forth we go and nothing gets done. Like any customer support, you are immediately either shaken off to another department or given some lame excuse that doesn't solve the issue.

It's probably nothing more than a switch on a server somewhere, but people are just people and really don't care. I find it insulting and it just adds to the list of poor quality telecom services that Spain offers.

I really don't want to hear who is responsible for what and why. I could care less. I just want someone to fix it and make it work again.

Contributor
My Device: 8520

As I've told you before, we have 2 BBs at home. Both had BB lite data plan (10Mb/month). We switched one of the BBs to the unlimited data plan and wifi started to work again. Today I've decided to "try" switch the other BB to the same unlimited data plan to see if BIS over wifi worked again and then switch back to BB lite. Unfortunately this didn't work but we "discovered" something interesting. Right now Vodafone has only 2 BB BIS data plans: lite and unlimited both for individuals and companys. Internally they have more data plans on their systems. When you have the unlimited BB data plan they also activate the "internet for mobile phones" data plan (12€) for free to cover all data charges (BIS, internet and wap). The customer representative realised that the BB on which BIS over wifi was working had the "wrong" BB data plan and had not the "internet for mobile phones", so all wap usage was being charged. He switched the BB data plan to the "right one" (professional BB for individuals) and activated for free the "internet for mobile phones" data plan. I asked which was the "wrong" BB data plan that was active on that line but he couldn't tell. I'm sure you already know what happed... BIS over wifi stopped working!

Do you have you mobile phone lines as individuals, professionals or company?

Contributor

I have the unlimited plan. I read your previous post, I switch from unlimited to lite "no wifi", then I request them to switch back to unlimited "no wifi". I was very clear with them by phone and email but nothing work.

All are mobile phone lines as individuals.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: no BIS over wifi not solved

BlackBerry 8520 (EDGE, Wi-Fi)

v5.0.0.681 (Plataforma 5.2.0.67)

WLAN Version: 3.0.0.113

Carrier: TIGO Colombia

BIS Plan: Social Media (Lite Plan)

Problem:  BIS over WiFi stopped working (Working Before)

I have the BIS lite plan of the carrier but some time ago i cann't use the BIS plan over WiFi and i need this because i have a bad EDGE signal on my house but i have wifi.

i'm able to get to the rcp.eu.blackberry.com:443 so TCP is ok and my router is ok also

Looking for solution:  my carriers says they cann't do nothing because is not a blocked service for them (so they are not looking for get the contract upgrade).

I want to know if RIM have something with that and if they could give us support

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Hi fedegomez78,

Are you able to access all of your BlackBerry Internet Service features when connected to the mobile network?

Thanks

-CptS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Contributor
My Device: 8520

fedegomez78 wrote:

BlackBerry 8520 (EDGE, Wi-Fi)

v5.0.0.681 (Plataforma 5.2.0.67)

WLAN Version: 3.0.0.113

Carrier: TIGO Colombia

BIS Plan: Social Media (Lite Plan)

Problem:  BIS over WiFi stopped working (Working Before)

I have the BIS lite plan of the carrier but some time ago i cann't use the BIS plan over WiFi and i need this because i have a bad EDGE signal on my house but i have wifi.

i'm able to get to the rcp.eu.blackberry.com:443 so TCP is ok and my router is ok also

Looking for solution:  my carriers says they cann't do nothing because is not a blocked service for them (so they are not looking for get the contract upgrade).

I want to know if RIM have something with that and if they could give us support

Hi. I'm sorry to tell you there is almost nothing you can do to solve this problem. I'm the one who created this thread. I've concluded this issue is something between your carrier and RIM. The big problem is that most carries lack of a decent techical support and to make things worse, don't care if you can o cannot connect to BIS over wifi since they say it's not part of their service.

I've also concluded that the possibility to get BIS over wifi is a feature on you BIS user profile, which is managed by the carriers. I'm sure that as happened to me, your carrier's technical support or customer care don't know this (they don't even know how BIS works) and there's no way to contact someone who really knows something about how BB works.

I've been "lucky". I've been able to get BIS over wifi the same way it went down, suddenly and without notice. I recomend you to contact your carrier's customer care dept by mail and/or by letter or fax, trying to reach a manager or supervisor and explaining the whole problem to them, including how BIS works so they understand that the problem is not on your BB terminal or you wifi connection but on your BIS profile and that they are the only ones who can change that.

Contributor

I am  agree  with jamdq, in my case I recover bis over wifi 3 months later.

A lot of complains filled to Vodafone Spain.

everything is working good now.

I hope you to solve the problem soon...