Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

Contributor
matthoy
My Device: Blackberry 8900

Re: no BIS over wifi

nick4glengate wrote:

That's a disappointing chat log - yesterday I chatted with someone from O2 and they were much more helpful, said they'd been dealing with similar problems all day and confirmed it was a known problem.

Really? That's interesting. 

I'm disapointed to say I've never come across anyone helpful at consumer level o2 customer service. Once you escalate something to a complaint they're usually extremely good, but as far as phone, email and web chat support goes I'm always left disapointed. 

Just a thought but could all these problems by any chance be related to the ipv6 switchover?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13685772

Contributor
Broadsword
My Device: Torch 9800

I called vodafone just now, this is good....

According to vodafone tier 2 tech ..."BIS is not possible over WiFi...", "never has been and never will be"

I said it was, they went to check.

Apparently I was right but..."it is a fault with your phone Sir"...."needs to be wiped to work".

:Censored:

Contributor
nick4glengate
My Device: Curve 9300 3G

No, definitely not anything to do with IPv6. For one thing, there isn't a 'switchover' as such. What happened today for IPv6 was a test of a whole bunch of websites and servers, nothing more. There wouldn't have been an impact like we're seeing with BIS services, I'm afraid.

Contributor
matthoy

Broadsword wrote:

I called vodafone just now, this is good....

According to vodafone tier 2 tech ..."BIS is not possible over WiFi...", "never has been and never will be"

I said it was, they went to check.

Apparently I was right but..."it is a fault with your phone Sir"...."needs to be wiped to work".

:Censored:

I hate some of the idiots they have in call centres. I could rant about it, but I won't... :Ninja:

Contributor
m4dsk1llz
My Device: Torch 9800

That's brilliant to hear.  I have to say, O2 have always been amazing with customer support whenever I have had to deal with them.  One of the reasons I like the company so much.  Can't fault them really.

Hopefully this will be resolved ASAP.

Contributor
matthoy

nick4glengate wrote:

No, definitely not anything to do with IPv6. For one thing, there isn't a 'switchover' as such. What happened today for IPv6 was a test of a whole bunch of websites and servers, nothing more. There wouldn't have been an impact like we're seeing with BIS services, I'm afraid.

Ah OK thanks for clearing that up. I thought all ISPs might have been using it today, and Blackberries were struggling with the new addresses or something. 

JSanders
Solutions: 5,993
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

cjvervaet wrote:

For all those high star generals (veterans or whatever they call you guys). Please don't give us the 'Call your carrier', 'It's a local issue', 'It must be your provider' because we all know that is not true. I've been reading postings from people in Spain, Greece, Italy, Holland, UK, Canada and the United States all with different carriers, all with data plans and all with the SAME issue that started YESTERDAY (7-June-2011). Go to page 1 of this forum and read the date, it's from 2010, why is this happening every year at the same time?

cjvervaet, I've tried explaining this to you in another thread, and I wish you would just read and comprehend one time.

Your contract for technical support with RIM is through your local carrier/mobile service provider. Likewise, your service for BIS is paid to your carrier, like Vodafone Spain, O2, Orange or whoever you contract with for service.

Likewise, RIM contracts with the mobile service providers to give you that technical support. The ONLY way you can talk directly to RIM for free is through your mobile service provider (RIM does provide a paid per-indicent consumer support, but that's inconsequential in this matter).

So now, if you can follow the above, any issue which your local carrier cannot resolve or fix, CAN BE escalated to RIM level tech support, in which RIM then examines the issue and responds. If you keep advising users in these threads to "don't call your carrier" you are just simply defeating your own purpose.

RIM listens the carriers. The carriers get 100 or 500 calls for dead service on BIS over WiFi, someone is going to look at it, believe me.

But if you keep advising users here that "high star generals (veterans or whatever they call you guys)" just ot insult me and others who try hard to correct your misinformation, well, you're just doing nothing to help yourself and others who's BIS over WiFi is dead.

I don't work for RIM or a local carrier. I am a personal user, just lke you. I really do know what I'm talking about above, and I just don't understand how you can get your jollies off insulting someone like myself and others who are trying to advise users here how to help fix this issue.

Thanks for understanding, and I pray we can get on the same sheet of music in this topic.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Trusted Contributor
cjvervaet
My Device: Bold 9780

@ jsanders - If I insulted you, I am sorry, that was not my intention. If I was to insult someone, they would know it, trust me. :Eek:

Again, we're focused on the context of something you are trying to explain to me, that has nothing to do with the actual issue that all of these users are coincidentally reporting today.

Issue = BIS is not working over WIFI

User include = Spain, UK, Holland, Greece, Italy

Carriers = Vodafone UK, Vodafone Spain, T-Mobile, Orange, O2, Virgin and a Greek carrier I can't remember the name of.

You wrote: "I've tried explaining this to you in another thread, and I wish you would just read and comprehend one time."

I understand I need to call my carrier, this is the third time I'm saying this now, I DID call my carrier, they told me to call RIM. So if we can't contact RIM and our carriers are telling us to do so, what do you say to that?

I understand this is a thread, and we are all personal users, I didn't know what to call you guys with all the stars next to your user names. Maybe 'Hall of Famer II'? (not an insult, just a question)...

I'm indicating that you veterans need to understand that most of us HAVE called our carriers and THEY are telling us to call RIM. Around and around we go...

I'm sure your BIS over WIFI is working just dandy. If it wasn't, I'm sure that would be another story entirely...

Contributor
nick4glengate
My Device: Curve 9300 3G

Thought I'd give O2 another call today - spoke to someone who said he hadn't heard of the problem, but he spoke to second line and they confirmed that it was a known issue, that many, many people have phoned in about it, but that probably many more are affected without knowing or noticing (since the handsets still connect to the wifi just don't route any internet data over it, so the wifi name still shows up). They have contacted RIM and will continue to do. Apparently RIM have assured O2 and the other UK carriers that this fault will be addressed as "the highest priority". That I guess is the good news. On the down side, there is no ETA on a fix, and no explanation yet forthcoming as to the cause of the problem. Not even a statement on O2's website, or RIM's website or their respective twitter accounts. Nothing. That's poor, I think.

JSanders
Solutions: 5,993
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

cjvervaet wrote:

that has nothing to do with the actual issue that all of these users are coincidentally reporting today.

cjvervaet wrote:

I'm indicating that you veterans need to understand that most of us HAVE called our carriers and THEY are telling us to call RIM. Around and around we go...

And there's the problem. Check most of the users posting in these threads, most of the are first-time users of this forum, and to assume anything for them is faulty. I've learned that too many times.

Ditto on your carrier, you must be persistant and demanding. I know how customer service phone support is and in most cases they just want to get you off the phone, but you MUST be persistent and demanding about escalating the issue to RIM. That's ALL I've been trying to say. If you can't do that, then so be it. Sorry.

cjvervaet wrote:

I'm sure your BIS over WIFI is working just dandy. If it wasn't, I'm sure that would be another story entirely...

Feel better now? Get your stabs in. sheez. Yes, mine is working fine, and you can check my posting history in this forum and I will return to helping those users who are a bit more appreciative than you.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code