Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 8900
My Carrier: o2 UK

Re: no BIS over wifi

nick4glengate wrote:

Thought I'd give O2 another call today - spoke to someone who said he hadn't heard of the problem, but he spoke to second line and they confirmed that it was a known issue, that many, many people have phoned in about it, but that probably many more are affected without knowing or noticing (since the handsets still connect to the wifi just don't route any internet data over it, so the wifi name still shows up). They have contacted RIM and will continue to do. Apparently RIM have assured O2 and the other UK carriers that this fault will be addressed as "the highest priority". That I guess is the good news. On the down side, there is no ETA on a fix, and no explanation yet forthcoming as to the cause of the problem. Not even a statement on O2's website, or RIM's website or their respective twitter accounts. Nothing. That's poor, I think.

You could not have put that better. Kudos.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Vodafone Spain

@ jsanders - ?

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Vodafone Spain

Thanks matthoy, it's good to hear that Virgin and O2 (which is basically telefonica) have acknowledged the issue. Hopefully the trickle down method will spill over to Vodafone. At least to their customer service reps. I'm so tired of calling and repeating the same information over and over...
Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 3g 9300
My Carrier: Orange

Hi,

are there any specific settings you have to do on wifi router in order BIS to work over WiFi ?

Today afternoon BIS was working over WiFi on my BB - using corporate WiFi router.

Now at home, BIS does not wotk over my home wifi router. WiFi diagnostic on BB shows folloving:

BlackBerry Infrastructure
Address Used: //193.109.81.88:443
IP Used: 193.109.81.88:443;61228
Connecting: Error
Authenticating router: N/A
Authenticating server: N/A
Last Contact At: 
Certificate status: Ok

OS version is 6.0.0.461

Solutions: 6,152
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

glypto, scroll up and read this complete thread, you'll see there have been some RIM issues with providing BIS service over Wifi in Europe and other areas the last 24 hours. It is intermittent, working for some and not for others so to work on your office Wifi and not on your home WiFi is not odd, today.

Before you can really troubleshoot this, the RIM outage needs to be fully resolved.

But to answer your questions, there are NORMALLY no special router settings to connect... most will connect automatically.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 3g 9300
My Carrier: Orange

At work and BIS works over WiFi again ...

Contributor
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: o2

Still not working on o2. Someone on twitter said yesterday afternoon that they hoped to get it up and running last night. Disgusted that there was no announcement from RIM/Blackberry of what was happening. Not being a techy person, I thought my Blackberry was broken. I'd reinstalled my OS twice and was ready to buy a new phone.

Contributor

ChrisLawley wrote:

Still not working on o2. Someone on twitter said yesterday afternoon that they hoped to get it up and running last night. Disgusted that there was no announcement from RIM/Blackberry of what was happening. Not being a techy person, I thought my Blackberry was broken. I'd reinstalled my OS twice and was ready to buy a new phone.

I bet a lot of people in 2+ Blackberry households saw the problem across more than one device and went out to get a new router. 

RIM need a BIS Service Status page, and maybe an app that goes with it. Planned downtime, service statuses, repair ETAs etc. 

Contributor

Blackberry have finally admitted it. 

http://twitter.com/#!/UK_BlackBerry/status/78835549519089666

My Device: 9780
My Carrier: orange spain

This is happening in Spain again also, I am with Orange and currently in Colombia and since Monday night i have had no BIS service on wifi.

changed from mpa2 to mep, changed handset etc, nothing...  
orange say all is ok with line.
blackberry /RIM in spain i know them, tell me nothing is wrong... ive just sent them this link.

Not surpising in Spain that no one knows anything but just so you know its in far more places than just UK.

I am sure they will fix it next week as this is the sort of thing that makes people think, maybe an andriod phone wont be so bad... ...

lets hope soon, 5 euros a day for 500kbytes is hard to swallow.. sitll can use gmail.com etc for emails on wifi but not point.