Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
stokesie
My Device: 9900 bold

no BIS username

I am unable to log into my bis account because when my account was created no username was used. I have been talks with my wireless service provider and they have said I have to contact blackberry to resolve my issue as they cannot create a username for me.

Please help

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: no BIS username

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Goodness, did your provider fob you off! On so many levels, as well!

1) There is no free path by which end users can directly seen any formal support from RIM. Only via formal escalation by the carrier can a case receive any formal support from RIM.

2) This site is not a channel for any formal communications with RIM. This site is user-to-user.

3) By agreeing to be a BB carrier, your carrier further agreed with RIM to provide ALL formal front line support to ALL of their end users for ALL issues pertaining to services your carrier provides as well as services that RIM provides. Further, if you also purchased your BB through your carrier, they additionally are responsible for all service for it as well, including warranty.

4) BIS is 100% controlled by the carriers, not by RIM. The carriers control all user accounts in the carriers BIS system. If the carrier cannot resolve the BIS issue, then they must escalate to RIM for enhanced support.

So, you see, your carrier really fobbed you off on this one. They know all of the above...the agent you spoke to may be untrained, however. I'd suggest you re-contact them but not let them fob you off this time. Think of it this way -- who do you PAY for all of your services? You don't pay RIM...you pay your carrier. They are 100% responsible for all of your services and all of your formal support...right now, they are delivering neither to you it would seem.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
stokesie

Thanks for your ammo, I mean reply.

I will post the outcome to hopefully help anyone in the same situation.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

If you dig around this site a bit, there are a ton of recent posts from giffgaff users with very similar situations (e.g., giffgaff fobbing off any responsibility for support).

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
stokesie

[ Edited ]

I am getting nowhere with my provider is there another avenue I can try?

Bellow for your amusement is my ongoing battle read from bottom up, it all started when i failed to setup exchange mail(still not set it up):-

Customer ******14/08/2012 10.18 PM
I have been in touch with blackberry support and below is what they say.

BIS is 100% controlled by the carriers, not by RIM. The carriers control all user accounts in the carriers BIS system. If the carrier cannot resolve the BIS issue, then they must escalate to RIM for enhanced support.

Response Kathleen_q14/08/2012 11.36 AM

Hello there David,

Kathleen here from the giffgaff team. Thanks for getting in touch with us and sorry to hear that you're having an ongoing issue with trying to access the Blackberry.com site.

Unfortunately we cannot set you up with a subscriber name David, this has to be done by Blackberry so you'll have to contact them. We do not have access to your Blackberry account to do this for you.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused by this issue David, but regrettably this is out of our hands and there is no other way around this. If you need any further account related help you can ask for help on our community forum at: http://giffgaff.com/support or alternatively please feel free to contact me again and I'll be happy to help. 

Cheers and all the best,

Kathleen @ the giffgaff team
Customer******14/08/2012 12.34 AM
If you read the giffgaff agent esponse by Jeanette_a on the 8/8/2012 below you admit my account doesn't have a subscriber name for my BIS, this is not the same as my giffgaff username I believe.
I need this subscriber name(username) to log into http://giffgaff.blackberry.com/
I have been on a few support forums recently and they go on to say that giffgaff agents fob you off, I would like to report back some positive feedback as this is the only issue I have experienced with the giffgaff service.

Please read all the correspondence below before replying as i feel I am banging my head against a brick wall.

Response Ryan_c13/08/2012 05.09 PM
Hi there David,

Thanks for getting back to us about not having a username for your Blackberry services.

The only username giffgaff has for you is *******.

I hope this helps and have a good day but feel free to drop me a mail if you need further help or another choice you have is to have a look on our community forum at:
http://community.giffgaff.com/

Happy giffgaffing and we hope you enjoy the rest of your day!!!

Good Luck,

Ryan @ the giffgaff team

Customer ******12/08/2012 11.26 PM
From what I understand the basic issue is that my bis account does not have a username.
Have you created a username for me?
I will need a username to access my account via http://giffgaff.blackberry.com/ 
By the way I just tried to request my password with my device pin and it comes back as blank still.
Response Amy_m12/08/2012 06.22 PM
Hi David,

Thanks for replying.

I have altered your Blackberry services to make sure that it is not the service books preventing your message being sent for your password. 

We would advise giving it 24 hours and then you should hopefully be able to access the site.

I hope this helps!

Amy @ The giffgaff team

Customer ****** 09/08/2012 09.43 PM
I have been in touch with blackberry support and below is what they say.
BIS is 100% controlled by the carriers, not by RIM. The carriers control all user accounts in the carriers BIS system. If the carrier cannot resolve the BIS issue, then they must escalate to RIM for enhanced support.
So back to you :smileywink:
Response Janine Potts09/08/2012 03.53 PM
Hi there David,

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, we have tried as much troubleshooting as we have on this issue David. You will need to contact BlackBerry directly on this matter. I apologise we cannot help any further.

If you need anything else David, get in touch or why not visit our forum: http://community.giffgaff.com.

Cheers and happy giffgaffing,
Janine @ The giffgaff team 
www.giffgaff.com

Customer ****** 09/08/2012 12.08 PM
I have tried what you have suggested already.
Please don't give up.
Response Janine Potts09/08/2012 10.10 AM
Hi there David,

Thanks for your reply.

I would recommend trying stokesie and ******@sky.com as your username David. Unfortunately, our systems show that there is no subscriber name set up and we cannot reset it.

If you need anything else, get in touch or why not visit our forum: http://community.giffgaff.com.

Cheers and happy giffgaffing,
Janine @ The giffgaff team 
www.giffgaff.com

Customer David Stokes08/08/2012 06.40 PM
thanks for your reply
i have verified my credentials (without username) for ******@sky.com sucessfully.
i then proceed to http://giffgaff.blackberry.com/ but still cannot log in.
I then proceed to create a new user account, it asks for my pin & imei numbers so i enter them.
i am prompted that i cannot create an account on my browser i will have to use the email setup on my phone.
i tried this twice as suggested & now have 2 email account ******@giffgaff.blackberry.com & ******@giffgaff.blackberry.com. when setting up these accounts i was not asked for a user or subscriber name. As before i cannot log into http://giffgaff.blackberry.com/

Q.can i update the subscriber name? (i assume this should be my user name)

thank you for your persistence

Response Jeanette_a08/08/2012 03.52 PM
Hi again David

Thanks for getting back in touch

David on checking our systems it shows the email address associated with your Blackberry is:******@sky.com

The system however does not show a subscriber name as yet

We would ask for you to verify these credentials on the Blackberry website by filling in the information on the following link https://www.blackberry.com/eavt/web20/index.jsp

If you have never set up a Blackberry account correctly it may be beneficial to set up a new user by visiting http://giffgaff.blackberry.com/

Ensure you are connected to a Wi-Fi connection before going onto these websites as it will help with getting the correct information

Sorry for any inconvenience caused

All the best and have a good evening
Jeanette @ The giffgaff team

Customer ******06/08/2012 12.34 AM
again i have tried all you have suggested already
have posted to community to seek resolution.
one more thing, who runs giffgaff.blackberry.com web page is it giffgaff or blackbery?

also the status is not solved but replied too

Response Kieran_d05/08/2012 09.25 PM
Hi David,

Thanks for getting back to me.

At this end everything is fine on the account. All BlackBerry features are active.

Try using your email address to get a new password. You could even set up a new account and please remember the username because we don't have a record of it.

David you will have to go to the community forum to get help and see if other giffgaffers can help you.

David that should be you sorted now but if you any other questions then just drop me an email or take a look on our community forum at:

Enjoy your night!

All the Best,
Kieran @ the giffgaff team

Customer ******05/08/2012 07.27 PM
i have tried phone,playbook,pc, browsers over past 2 weeks via different isp's.
my main issue is with logging into the http://giffgaff.blackberry.com web site, so how can you say everything is ok at your end?

Response Kieran_d05/08/2012 07.11 PM
Hi David,

You are receiving the message so there may be a problem with the site at the minute.

Try requesting it on a different browser or on a PC if you are receiving it via email.

After this I would suggest trying again tomorrow to see if it works as I can't help you any further.

You will have to post the question to the community via the community forum.

David that should be you sorted now but if you any other questions then just drop me an email or take a look on our community forum at:

Enjoy your night!

All the Best,

Customer ******05/08/2012 06.55 PM
the only way i can request my password is by using my pin as i do not know my user name.
i do this & receive a message with a blank password.
Response Kieran_d05/08/2012 05.30 PM
Hi David,

Try ******@sky.com as your username David and then you can request your password.

If it doesn't work then your username would have been sent to your email address when you first registered so check your emails.

Enjoy your day!

All the Best,

Customer ******05/08/2012 05.10 PM
I am unable to login in to http://giffgaff.blackberry.com. Please could you confirm my user name and password.
Response Kieran_d05/08/2012 03.09 PM
Hi David,

Yes that message was from us just to make sure your phone is registered to blackberry and all the service books are working.

We don't troubleshoot for the emails so you will have to go to the forum or check online.

Everything is working from our end.

Enjoy your day!

All the Best,

Customer ******05/08/2012 02.42 PM
I still can't login in to http://giffgaff.blackberry.com to try an setup my exchange email, so I don't understand how my issue status can be solved?
I received a test email today at 14:19 ID 172-742-921, was that you?
Response Kieran_d05/08/2012 02.19 PM
Hi David,

Thanks for getting in touch about your BlackBerry services. Let me check for you.

Everything on the account is fine and the BlackBerry add on is working David.

As everything is fine from our end you will need to head to the community forum in order to get help.

Also you don't email giffgaffteam@firstsource.com as it doesn't work. If you have a query then you need to raise it through 'ask an agent' and we will get back to you ASAP.

Enjoy the rest of your day!

All the Best,Kieran @ the giffgaff team

Customer ******04/08/2012 08.47 PM
i have tried emailing giffgaffteam@firstsource.com twice in the last 2 weeks with no replies.
basically i cannot log into http://giffgaff.blackberry.com 
when i request my password sent to my pin i get a reply saying my password is "blank" i mean nothing.
the reason i came accross this issue is because i am having problems setting up exchange email on my blackberry 9900. my exchange account is active and ok as i can use my playbook & android phone to sync successfully.
just to add i have also got 2 email address setup with BIS, my ******@sky.com &******@giffgaff.blackberry.com.
please help
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Oh my stars!! I almost wanted to tie a noose to my ceiling fan over all that! Well, that sadly validates all the bad feedback we see here about giffgaff support.

One thing you haven't done (unless I missed it) is to push them for exactly HOW you are supposed to contact RIM directly (since they keep telling you THAT you need to contact RIM, but they don't tell you HOW). Tell them that the only method is something called Incident Support, and that is fee-based...and that they need to escalate you into RIM in order for you to not have to pay...after all, you already pay giffgaff and there is a problem...you should not have to pay to resolve a problem that you did not cause.

Sorry, the only way around is that fee-based Incident Support, but it costs to just ask the initial question. If you wish to investigate that, you can review it here:

Oh...one last thing...please edit that post and redact all personal information (e.g., email addresses and such)...such is not allowed here. The mods might beat you to it...but it'd be good if you did it first. While you are at it, some horizontal lines between each message would help as well...it is very hard to read, especially going from bottom to top.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
stokesie

editied thanks for the heads up

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
stokesie

Don't know if it's the correct place to post unless it's related but I have been trying to setup outlook Web access on my 9900 with no joy. I have looked at various guides and post, but have still not been able to try everything due to the bis username issue.

In all the guides I have seen none use a similar Webmail url as my company which is

https://webmail.****-*******.co.uk/owa

Also to note is that I use an android device and playbook for owa successfully already so I am stumped with my 9900.

One more thing, my company does not have BES, I am just using my personal BIS.

Here's hoping :Helpsmilie:

Ps

I will delete and move this post if it's in wrong place.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Hi again,

No...here is fine...mainly because the two issues are related. To integrate an OWA email account to a BB requires a functioning BIS account, which you don't yet have. So, resolving the BIS account issue will be the primary thing to do before attempting anything that relies on the BIS account for functionality.

Once you get BIS going, though, here is what I have on the OWA topic...

In my experience, OWA can be very difficult to configure via the device interface to BIS (Setup > Email Settings). In my case, I was never successful via the device interface. Rather, I needed to use a PC/browser and log into my carriers web interface to BIS...you can find yours via this portal:

An alternative is, from the BB browser, www.blackberry.com/integrate, though I am honestly unsure how to incorporate what follows into that (as I've never actually had to use the integrate site from my BB). But, maybe you can figure out how to modify the steps that follow.

OK...now, use the link above (from a PC/browser) and log into your carriers BIS website. Then very carefully follow the instructions in this KB to configure BIS for your OWA email. Go very slowly and do each and every step carefully...especially the mailbox name...that's usually the trickiest and most crucial.

Here are some other links that might prove helpful:

• KB18567 BlackBerry Internet Service cannot connect to a Microsoft Outlook Web Access account using Microsoft Exchange 2007 or Microsoft Exchange 2010
  • KB02858 Unable to integrate a Microsoft Outlook Web Access email address with a BlackBerry Internet Service account

That all said, it is still possible that it won't work. There are scenarios where OWA admins have done one of two things:

1. Implemented ISA -- this prevents BIS from integrating the account
  2. Blocked, in their firewall, the ability for the BIS servers to access the email server

Good luck and let us know!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.