Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

Contributor
yopej14
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 8520
My Carrier: Globe Telecom
Accepted Solution

unable to update BlackBerry Curve 8520 to 5.0

I am a new user of BlackBerry so I start to use Curve 8520 version 4.6.1.314 Platform 4.2.0.135 with PIN 22519E9E. I am located in the Philippines and my Service provider is Globe Telecom. My problem is I am unable to update my Device to 5.0. I tried first using the desktop software and I am getting a message That my device has the latest software. Then I tried using the web update and This time I am getting a connection error message and finally I also tried the other Option which is downloading the device sofware supported by my service provider I saw three options and downloaded them all then installed in my PC (two v4.6 and one 5.0). Then I launch my desktop sofware but this time I got an option to update my device 4.6. What I want is to upgrade it to 5.0 so I tried again via webupdate but I am also getting The option to update it to 4.6. I tried to delete the two 4.6 version folder in share folder Research in Motion folder locate in Program file folder/Common file/research in motion/shared Then tried to update again via deskstop and web but I got the same result on my first attempt To update my device..I really need someone to help me with my problem. I am unable to Install facebook 1.6 and unable to sign in to YNM applicatio that is why I wanted To update my device to 5.0. I will appreciate any help..thanks in advance..
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: unable to update BlackBerry Curve 8520 to 5.0

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

First, I'd suggest that you ensure that you've removed (via Add/Remove Programs...not by merely deleting the folders/files) all but the device OS package that you wish to install. Then, rather than use DTM, use the device Loader.exe as documented in this process:

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
yopej14

Hello,

I did what you have instructed but I am only getting the applications installed on myn phone.

I am unable to reload my OS, I tried to update my device again but I am still getting that there is

no update available for my phone. Thanks!!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Tell me exactly the steps you are following. Exactly and completely. Thanks.

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
yopej14

Thanks for replying, heres what I did.

1. I went to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader

2. Opened tha loader exe file

3. Then it prompt a dialog box then I click next

4. It shows to select my device so I connect my phone

5. Then it shows my device PIN and I clicked next then it ask for my password

6. I enter my password and click next again then it also shows some of my application

7. I clicked next again and it says no actions required.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

With that result, you have installed to your PC the same device OS package that is already installed to your BB. If you are wishing to change to a different version, you must remove from your PC that OS package and install to your PC the device OS version package that you desire. Then, Loader will use that package and install that OS to your BB.

What version is Loader offering on the page where it shows all the apps? Click the Details button on that page...it will show you, module by module, what is installed and what the package you are attempting to install offers.

What version is presently installed on your BB?

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
yopej14

I double checked the folders where the 5.0 OS was installed and even reinstalled it. I am still getting the same result. It only offers me the applications and not the OS itself. Thanks..

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Please re-read my prior post and provide the answers I have requested.

What you are seeing is normal...from what you describe, it is showing exactly what it should. There are apps involved with the OS, but the first entry in that screen will be the Core itself...which is the OS. Everything else are components thereof, including the standard suite of apps that make up the BB.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
yopej14

I tried to update my device again and the 5.0 OS has appeared already however after clicking next, I am receiving a message that I will need a subscription  to be able to update mu device to 5.0. I am very frustrated already, I hope we can resolve my issue. I am unable to install Facebook on my device and unable to sign in to Yahoo! Messenger as well. I am getting a message that the service was not enable on my device.  I think updating my OS to 5.0 will resolve my issue. The link below is the only update available from my mobile carrier Globe Telecom , I am wondering If I can use OS that came from other carrier.

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/browseSoftware.do

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

You can use a device OS package from another carrier -- it just takes a trick. But...some things you've said intrigue me. Do you know for certain that you have a Blackberry data plan in place on your BB? This is crucial...without the proper data plan, nothing you are attempting will work, including (as memory serves me) attempting to install and use device OS v5.0. Please check with your service provider that you have the proper data plan from then that enables your access to all Blackberry Internet Service features and functions. The messages you are seeing tell me that you do not have access to BIS.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.