Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Visitor
fnbgppl
My Device: Not Specified

A service connection is unavailable.

Activation request failed. A service connection is unavailable. I am using a BES v.4.1.3.18 and have 9 other phones connected. The blackberry failing is a BB Curve, i think that is a 8330. I am not really sure what to try next. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Please use plain text.
Elite I
jmrmb80
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Re: A service connection is unavailable.

What carrier is the failing BlackBerry using? I've usually seen that where the device wasn't connected to the carrier's network. Does the device have a full data signal with at least 3 bars?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Also make sure it is provisioned for the correct data plan, and carriers do make mistakes.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tersevenim
My Device: Not Specified

Send a PIN or SMS text from that bb to another BB - that will let you know if device is active with a carrier.

Next in the enterprise activation section, on the BB, put an email address of some other email account you have (say yahoo or gmail email account).  Put a bogus password and try to activate.  Check the email account - you should have an email from the device with bunch of activation stuff.  All you care about is if you received the email - that lets you know the device can activated.  If that didn't work go back and check with carrier.  If it did it is possible you filtering the email for when activating the bb (it has to arrive in the inbox of the email account (quickly disappears) to begin the activation).

Please use plain text.
Visitor
Shellipe
My Device: Curve 8530

Is there phone service on these bb's.  If so press #228.  Activate phone first then try enterprise activation.  This is how I resolved my problem.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

It is a BESAdmin rite of passage to go through the gauntlet of correcting the right BES data plan with your carrier.

Under Manage Connections on the device (Most of OS 5), there's a services status which tells if connected to the data network.

For BES dataplan testing.

Want to check if a device is provisioned correctly?

https://www.blackberry.com/besc/dashboard/

Then use the Enterprise Activation Readiness tool.

All at absolutely no cost to you or your organization!

The BESC gives you a suite of valuable tools, and includes a Complimentary Support Incident should you need to contact BlackBerry Technical Support directly.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Ironside
My Device: Z10

Excellent advice as usual , thanks Knotty. I had the same error for a user and it turned out that they in fact had a PDA data plan on their account vs. the data package for a 9900.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

your welcome

Please use plain text.