Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
London_Exile
My Device: Not Specified

Activation issues.

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

I'm just tyring to activate a Blackberry 8310 on our BES. It's been provisioned for data (got GPRS in caps and full signal strength) and in the inbox the i've got the BlackBerry registration email "you handheld has been registered with the wireless network". So far so good.......

I've checked the user details are correct and that we have enough licences on the BES, but I can't get the device to activate. It just sits at the activating <email.address@bes.com> and after about 30 minutes tries to reactivate. I don't think there is any signal coming over the wireless network as the the two arrows that normally appear when activating are conspicious by their absence.

Obviously something is wrong. In the past it's normally been that the handhelds we've issued to people haven't had data provision. But this one has.

Any ideas??

TIA. Rob.

Message Edited by London_Exile on 01-26-2009 06:56 AM
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
bbinmyhart
My Device: Z10

Re: Activation issues.

First, make sure carrier provisioned it for BES use and not BIS.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
London_Exile

The handset, while provisioned for data and I think it was BIS, rather than BES, has also shipped with a hardware fault. After discussing with our service provider the handset is being replaced.

While using it for voice calls the signal strength was going up and down from 3 bars to 5 and then back down again. I've got an identical 8310 and it's signal strength has remained consistent at 5 bars.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
bbhorrigan
My Device: 8900

What is the service indicator, the bars doesn't really mean anything. Make sure you are on a BES data plan though, or else everything else your doing is pointless.

If someone helped you give them kudos. Research all info!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
London_Exile

Service indicatior, was GPRS in caps. What I was trying to say was that the hadnset itself seems to have a fault - as in it deoesn't hold a signal when making calls even when it's in an area where the signal strength is excellent.

But as you quite rightly say, if it doesn't have the correct data plan BES over BIS then everythin you try to get it to activate is poitnless as BIS won't work on the Enterprise Server.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
bbhorrigan
My Device: 8900

It sounds as if your issue is going to be carrier based though if you are having issues holding signal already

If someone helped you give them kudos. Research all info!
Please use plain text.