Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9650

Active Directory Domain Rename and Exchange uninstall

[ Edited ]

Hello,

We're running BES 5.0 SP2 (5.0.2) and we are currently planning for an Active Directory domain rename (rendom).  We'll be renaming both the DNS and NETBIOS names from oldname.net (OLDNAME) to corp.newname.com (CORP).  Our primary email addresses are @anothername.com.

The goal as it pertains to BES:  Maintain the connection between our handhelds and BES server without having to wipe and complete Enterprise Activation.

Unfortunately we have to uninstall Exchange 2007 to complete the process which will look something like:  Export all mailboxes to PST for 2010 upgrade (or use enterprise backup system if we keep 2007), uninstall Exchange 2007, complete rendom, reinstall either Exchange 2007 or 2010, re-create user accounts (same usernames) and restore mailbox backups (or import mailboxes for 2010 upgrade).

This process will delete the Exchange Organization.  We can reinstall with same Exchange Organization name but any unique identifiers would more than likely be different.

Does BES rely on unique identifiers (GUID, UUID, etc) or simply "Our Company Name"?  I checked the Component Information tab for my user account and see:

• Mailbox:  /o=Our Company Name/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=myusername
  • Email address:  myusername@anothername.com
  • Messaging server:  /o=Our Company Name/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Configuration/cn=Servers/cn=ExServerName/cn=Microsoft Private MDB

Questions:

1. Is our goal attainable or are we out of luck?
  2. Is it critical that we reinstall Exchange using the same mailbox server name so that BES and Exchange can communicate?
  3. Is there an option for us complete the Exchange 2010 upgrade during this process and then update BES to see the new Mailbox and Messaging Server paths?
  4. For our primary email addresses we want to change from @anothername.com to @newname.com.  We can reinstall Exchange using @anothername.com if it prevents us from having to complete Enterprise Activation on all handhelds but we'd eventually like to switch to @newname.com.

Thank you!

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Active Directory Domain Rename and Exchange uninstall

mdriest wrote:

This process will delete the Exchange Organization.  We can reinstall with same Exchange Organization name but any unique identifiers would more than likely be different.

This is going to break BES, no way around it.

Only way around it is to create a new domain in the same excahnge org, if this can not be done then wipe of device will be needed and activate on new BES server.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V