Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
PierreVanGeem
My Device: 8700 8800

Automate setup of devices, incl. enterprise email activation using BES?

Hi everyone,

Here is my problem: we have a pool of 30 devices (mixed 8700 and 8800 models) which can be booked for limited periods of time by 130 users, randomly. In practical terms, what happens is the following (example):

1. A user books a device using our booking system for a 15 days mission outside our premises;
  2. IT helpdesk has to insert new user + activate user on our BES v 4.1.6 (10 seconds of time);
  3. IT helpdesk has to configure a device, including email activation, using the configuration wizard (5 to 10 minutes per device until email activation is finalized);
  4. The user takes the device for his mission, and brings it back to the IT helpdesk after 15 days;
  5. IT helpdesk erases the device, and fully removes the user from the BES (2 minutes per device).

This procedure is fine if you only have one/two devices to deal with on a daily base. But in our case we have to setup minimum 10 devices everyday - if you sum the timing then it is a rather time consuming task.

My question: is there a way to atomize the device configuration somehow? I have been desperately looking for solutions to speed up this process without success up to now. Any hints/help would be extremely helpful.

Thank you,

Pierre

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Automate setup of devices, incl. enterprise email activation using BES?

PierreVanGeem wrote:

Hi everyone,

Here is my problem: we have a pool of 30 devices (mixed 8700 and 8800 models) which can be booked for limited periods of time by 130 users, randomly. In practical terms, what happens is the following (example):

1. A user books a device using our booking system for a 15 days mission outside our premises;
  2. IT helpdesk has to insert new user + activate user on our BES v 4.1.6 (10 seconds of time);
  3. IT helpdesk has to configure a device, including email activation, using the configuration wizard (5 to 10 minutes per device until email activation is finalized);

Why not email the activation and have the end user do this part? Only takes a new user here 2 min or less, and the rest is sync time.

1. The user takes the device for his mission, and brings it back to the IT helpdesk after 15 days;
  2. IT helpdesk erases the device, and fully removes the user from the BES (2 minutes per device).

Right click user and choose erase data and disable HH is fairly quick then remove user once it is started. Should be only 30 sec to do and you wait for the device to finish.

This procedure is fine if you only have one/two devices to deal with on a daily base. But in our case we have to setup minimum 10 devices everyday - if you sum the timing then it is a rather time consuming task.

My question: is there a way to atomize the device configuration somehow? I have been desperately looking for solutions to speed up this process without success up to now. Any hints/help would be extremely helpful.

Thank you,

Pierre

Other than that I dont know of a way to make it simpler.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
PierreVanGeem
My Device: 8700 8800

Thanks for the answer, always appreciated. Letting the user taking care of the configuration wizard isn't really a solution for us unfortunatelly. Not that I think that they cannot manage the procedure, but mainly because they just like to have it all configured and ready when they pick it up at our desk. Any other suggestion anyone?

I'll give your second hint a try on Monday (multiple erase from BES), but that will not save us a lot of time I guess.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

It is a lot easier than clicking around on the device menu and type blackberry on everyone of them.

In BES it is 4 clicks.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.