Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

BES 4 -> BES 10. What am I missing?

Hi All,

I've been running a BES 4 server for a number of years and have been fortunate enough to benefit from solid, reliable performance since it's installation. I haven't had a need to look at any other BES products since I installed this system so I'm feeling very green with respect to my options right now.

I've been doing a lot of reading and I feel more confused than when I started down this path! 

Current environment:

Blackberry Enterprise Server 4.1.6.10 (on a non-Exchange server)

MSDE

Exchange 2007

Some basic IT Policies are in use for the following:

• Password Restrictions
    • Password Timeout/Attempts/History
    • Lock Text (Owner Info/Owner Name)

I have about 40 devices that span OS versions 4.x to 7.x

I have a pent up demand for BB10 devices

I have a number of iOS devices that I'm currently managing on Apple infrastructure

A desire to be able to support Android devices when the need arises.

On the surface it seems like Blackberry Enterprise Service 10 will (ultimately) satisfy these needs, but I understand that not all features are available in the current release.  I'm OK with that as I can deal with the BB's first and have time to migrate the other platforms into the fold.

So, I think my plan is as follows:

Install BESX 5 on a new server class system (no charge for BESX)

Install BES10 on a Hyper-V (no charge for BES 10)

Upgrade BES 4.x CALs at no charge to BES10 CALs

Migrate all existing BB users from BES 4.x to BESX 5 using transporter.

At this point I should be well positioned to support legacy BB's as well as BB10, correct?  The only outstanding issue I can see is that I'll have to deal with our limited IT Policy requirements in a different way.  I've not yet got past that.

I welcome all comments.  Seems too simple - what am I missing?

Thanks,

Ken

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: BES 4 -> BES 10. What am I missing?

I would reccomend upgrading to SP7 on current BES prior to using transporter

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

Thanks for the tip!

Will I be able to address the IT Policy issue with Blackberry Enterprise Services 10?  Or do I have to consider a different solution?

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

those polices should be available in BES Express 5 which will be manages by BES 10

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Contributor

WooHoo!!  Thanks for the good news!

Guru III
My Device:

Double check here

BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express - 5.0.3 - Policy Reference Guide -- 36