Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Regular Contributor
Daps
My Device: Not Specified

BES Database queries

Hi

We running BES 4.1.7 with a SQL 2005 database. We have about 5 BES servers connected to that one DB.

The SQL team need to take the DB server offline for a period of time over the weekend for some maintenance.

Can anyone tell me what effect this will have on BES? As far as I know, the BES DB holds ALL the information relating to BES. But, assuming I'm not making any changes to the actual infra such as adding users etc, will the lack of DB connectivity affect users in any way? How does it work in terms of RefID etc which I assume are stored in the DB too?

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: BES Database queries

BES will function for quite a while about 4  to 8 hours or more with SQL down, but if you try to reboot BES it will not come back online.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Regular Contributor
Daps

Thanks for answering.

How will it function for 4 hours though? I thought whenever a message is sent, it's assigned a RefID and this is all held in the database. Surely if the BES can't write this info to the Db, this will cause a lot of issues immediately?

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

You wont get any device backups or reconcile to Function, but it should catch up once online.

Might get lots of log files as well.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Regular Contributor
Daps

Thanks for replying, but I'm still not sure how this would work.

As I understand it, each message that BES sends is assigned a RefID. These RefID's are held in the BES database (not sure where else they can be held).

So if a BES server is unable to write information regarding RefID's to anywhere, surely that means it can't send these messages? Or are you saying these can be stored in RAM or similar until an eventual time out? Which would imply that once the timeout hits, we're in even greater trouble due to sync issues.

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

Wish I could add more.

Maybe best to shedule down time for BES users.