Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
ssheikh
My Device: Not Specified

BES IT Policy settings mapping to Application Permissions

We are in the process of deploying ATT enhanced PTT by Kodiak Networks through BES. The app gets deployed successfully but crashes/closes right after the "Application Permissions Request" prompt requesting permission to Location resource.

If disassociate this device by selecting "Delete only the organization data and remove device" in BES and reboot the device, I can then open the app, it asks me for permission on three things: Location, Personal Information, and Appearance Settings and after I hit save, the application runs properly.

But as soon as the device is activated to a user, and even if the user has no policy assigned to him (i.e. default policy with all default settings), the application only gets as far as the "Application Permissions Request" prompt and then the device dumps back to the home screen after hitting save.

According to AT&T, the app needs the following permissions (first column) to run:

Application PermissionIT Policy SettingApplication Control Policy Setting
PERMISSION_SERVER_NETWORK  
PERMISSION_IDLE_TIMER
Security / Allow Resetting of Idle Timer

PERMISSION_DEVICE_SETTINGS  
PERMISSION_CROSS_APPLICATION_COMMUNICATION  
PERMISSION_INTERNET  
PERMISSION_MEDIA   
PERMISSION_AUTHENTICATOR_API   
PERMISSION_RECORDINGCommon / Disable Voice Note Recording 
PERMISSION_FILE_API   
PERMISSION_SECURITY_DATA  
PERMISSION_PHONE  
PERMISSION_LOCATION_DATA  
PERMISSION_ORGANIZER_DATA  
PERMISSION_APPLICATION_MANAGEMENT   
PERMISSION_WIFI   

I am trying to find out where these permissions are defined/set in the IT policies and or the Application Control Policies. Have found at least the "Allow Resetting of Idle Timer" that has a default setting of No. I suspect there are more.

Is there a place where this mapping of Application Permissions to definable policy settings in BES exists? If not, can someone help me fill out the above table. The two IT policy settings I have listed above are just best guesses of mine.

Thanks,

Shahid

Forums Advisor I
freakinvibe
My Device: Q10

Re: BES IT Policy settings mapping to Application Permissions

Application PermissionIT Policy SettingApplication Control Policy Setting
PERMISSION_SERVER_NETWORK  
PERMISSION_IDLE_TIMER
Security / Allow Resetting of Idle Timer
Can the security timer be reset: Allowed, Not permitted, Prompt
PERMISSION_DEVICE_SETTINGS  Can device settings be modified: Allowed, Not permitted, Prompt
PERMISSION_CROSS_APPLICATION_COMMUNICATION  
PERMISSION_INTERNET  
PERMISSION_MEDIA   
PERMISSION_AUTHENTICATOR_API   Is access to the user authenticator API allowed: Allowed, Disallowed
PERMISSION_RECORDINGCommon / Disable Voice Note RecordingIs access to the screen, microphone and video capturing APIs allowed: Allowed, Not permitted, Prompt
PERMISSION_FILE_API  Is access to the file API allowed: Allowed, Disallowed
PERMISSION_SECURITY_DATA  
PERMISSION_PHONE Is access to the phone API allowed: Allowed, Not permitted, Prompt
PERMISSION_LOCATION_DATA Is access to the GPS API allowed: Allowed, Not permitted, Prompt
PERMISSION_ORGANIZER_DATA Is access to the PIM API allowed: Allowed, Not permitted, Prompt
PERMISSION_APPLICATION_MANAGEMENT   
PERMISSION_WIFI  Is access to the WIFI API allowed: Allowed, Not permitted, Prompt