Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

BES Migration from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2007

Hi, I'm about ready to proceed with migrating our BES clients from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2007.  I've found KB14502 in the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center so I understand the steps I need to follow.  What I'm wondering about is a couple of other things.  We're running BES 4.1.4.12 on a Windows 2000 Server and the requirements for running a BES in an Exchange 2007 environment (KB13302) state that I need to use Windows Server 2003 with SP1.  So my first question is do I really need to move my BES to Server 2003 or can I continue using Windows 2000 Server as the OS for the BES?

Next, our Exchange servers are coexisting in the same organization right now.  KB14502 provides a good outline of the steps I need to follow but I need some confirmation on how to handle the BES clients.  Once I move the BESAdmin account and set the permissions for it can I migrate my BES clients as needed or do I need to move them all to the new Exchange Server at the same time?  As I said, I just need to confirm what needs to be done for the BES users.  Thanks for any help on this.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: BES Migration from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2007

If RIM recomends 2003 then Thats what I would do.

You can run both exchange servers and migrate slow, only that you might have to restart BES after moving mailboxes if a user is not working.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

Thanks knottyrope.  I was hoping we could get by with running the BES on Windows 2000 Server.  I appreciate your answer on the migration of the BES users.
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Best time to do the moving is when they are after hours, they usually wont is asleep.

When done you can send a test email with this in subject line to confrimif HH is working.

<$confirm,removeondelivery> Test move

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

Very good!  I didn't know about that command.  Looks like it will be very useful.  Thanks again!