Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
babaishere82
My Device: 920
My Carrier: tom
Accepted Solution

BES Planning

i'm planning a solution for a big BES deployment. It should be up to 5000 users in an Exchange 2010 organization.

I'm considering to use 4 virtual machines, each with 4 CPU and 8gb of ram.

I'm puzzled with blackberry domains:

should I go with 4 BES servers, each with its own SQL express o with a single BES Domain sharing a single database?

I understand that in the 2nd situation  I might have a single admin site, centralized policies and so on. But what about SRP license? Do  I still need a single SRP license? 

Thank anybody for hints

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: BES Planning

with that many users I would use Full SQL, SQL express might not be robust enough for that many users if using one BlackBerry domain ( one database )

With separate databases/BlackBerry domains you will have to config each BES separately which isnt not fun in the long run.

You will need a SRP for each BES. you can have 2000 per BES so maybe only 3 SRPs will be needed for you.

Youcan have more than one BAS instance but dont go over board. keep it under 4 if you really need that many. You might want to have a separate BAS server for this too.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
babaishere82

thank you for the answer.
if i use multiple BES domains can i have a centralized BAS administration? i don't think so, do you?
if i use only 3 BES servers, is that solution stable enough? i have concerns to run so many users (2000) on a single BES server. are you experienced about this?
about SQL express: in the deployment is not forecasted a SQL Server, so i'd like to avoid the license charge: is there any official document about SQL usage and performance with BES?
thank you for the support
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

babaishere82 wrote:
thank you for the answer.
if i use multiple BES domains can i have a centralized BAS administration? i don't think so, do you? NO you can not

if i use only 3 BES servers, is that solution stable enough? i have concerns to run so many users (2000) on a single BES server. are you experienced about this?  It is made for 2000 per BES Server MAX although I know some that have run more with great hardware.
about SQL express: in the deployment is not forecasted a SQL Server, so i'd like to avoid the license charge: is there any official document about SQL usage and performance with BES? not that I am aware of but SQL express does have some limits with backups and you really need backups with that many users.
thank you for the support

With setting up 5000 users you should do it right the first time and use a full version of SQL.

Do you have a SQL server already? if yes then just add BES database to it.

My bes is about 4 meg per user with the database. 5000*2 meg per user means database might be too big for express as it is limited to 10 gig.

BlackBerry Enterprise Server for Microsoft Exchange - 5.0 - Performance Benchmarking Guide -- 3

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
babaishere82

all made clear by your answers, many thanks for that.
just another quick hint here: if i were to choose the multiple bes domains solution, i see there is an issue with the greater administrative burden; but is there any issue else i cannot imagine right now?
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

babaishere82 wrote:
all made clear by your answers, many thanks for that.
just another quick hint here: if i were to choose the multiple bes domains solution, i see there is an issue with the greater administrative burden; but is there any issue else i cannot imagine right now?

There should not be. You can use transporter to move users from one BES to another. The admin burden will make you go a lil crazy when looking for a user and not knowing which BES they are on. Yes you can make a list but why make it more difficult on you.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
babaishere82

to save money for the license ;-)
Knotty, thank you so much, i my mind is lighter now.
bye
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

you welcome glad to have helped out

Please use plain text.