Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

besnewb
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

BES Upgrade Guide - Upgrading the BlackBerry Enterprise Server by using a new computer

The company that I work for is preparing to migrate our present BES environment from one server to another.  We are not changing versions as we are on the most current version.

Searching through this forum I saw discussions on knife-edge cut oversee as well as the steps covered in the Upgrade Guide.  I researched both of these methods and selected the method provided in the upgrade guide.

I am looking for clarification on part of this process.  At the beginning of the document is states that "BlackBerry devices that are running BlackBerry Device Software Version 4.0 or later receive new service books, and wireless data synchronization occurs" (pg.39).  Near the end of the process is discusses users having to reactivate their BlackBerry devices (pg. 43).

Since we are not changing versions do we still have to reactivate the user's devices?  If so, is there a way around this?  We do not allow individuals to connect their devices to the PC's in our environment so the Desktop Manager software is not installed for them.  Also, we do not want to create a procedure in which the end user has to do anything.  We want to try to make this as seamless to the user as possible.

Any help in this matter would be GREATLY appreciated!

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: BES Upgrade Guide - Upgrading the BlackBerry Enterprise Server by using a new computer

The knife edge is the best way for what you want to do.

I have done it a few times to upgrade my hard ware

here are my notes

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=BlackBerryEnterpriseSolution&message....

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
CerealBypass
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 9360
My Carrier: Bell

Re: BES Upgrade Guide - Upgrading the BlackBerry Enterprise Server by using a new computer

knottyrope wrote:

The knife edge is the best way for what you want to do.

I have done it a few times to upgrade my hard ware

here are my notes

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=BlackBerryEnterpriseSolution&message....

^^ Agreed. Knife-edge cutovers are especially great if you also need to move the database from one machine to another. If you can incur a tiny bit of downtime, a cutover allows you to move all your users in one go without having to worry about reactivating anyone. It also has the added benefit in the fact that if anything does go wrong, it can be rolled back pretty easily.

knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

the olny gotcha rolling back will be MDS CS mapping if any users are using BlackBerry Brower, Lucky me I have read about it before.

To update the mapping, complete the following steps:

1. In the BlackBerry Manager, in the left pane, click BlackBerry Domain.
  2. On the Global tab, click the Service Control & Customization task.
  3. Click MDS CS to BES Mapping.
  4. Match the correct host computer to the BlackBerry MDS Connection Service.
  5. Click OK to save the changes.
  6. Start the BlackBerry MDS Connection Service.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.