Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
JustKJ
My Device: 8100 - Pearl

BES data flow overview

I have searched the forums for similar topics and have come up empty. I have also check with How Stuff Works and other sites and what is provied is too simplistic.

I am trying to educate myself on how the four related hardware/software devices interact: the BlackBerry Device, the BES, the Exchange Server (and Domino for that matter), and the Outlook Client.  Is there such a document or white paper here or on blackberry.com?

I teach classes on how to effectively use a Blackberry for time and workload management.  I constantly get questions as to why certain things happen, like messages that are deleted or moved in the Outlook Client seem to remain in the BlackBerry message folder for quite a while, sometimes requiring a "Reconcile Now", yet "read" messages seem to update the message folder very quickly.

Another example that I worked out by trial and error is that when you keep notes on a contact only the first 1096 characters are synced with the blackberry.  If you edit a note on the Blackberry that has less than that maximum, your changes are synced back to the client.  If you edit a note that has more than that mazimum, only the 1096 get synced back and all other note data in the client is truncated.

I guess I am looking for a data flow document or more indepth description of what is happening.  

Thanks in advance. 

Kirk Justus
Director of Training, Central US
Priority Management
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne
My Device: Bold

Re: BES data flow overview

Kirk -

The BEST place to start is here: BlackBerry - Manuals and Guides 

Download the docs for the flavor / version you're using ... all of the docs.

Go through them and you will see LOTS of diagrams explaining the flow, encryption, etc of everything.

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
Please use plain text.