Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
JustKJ
My Device: 8100 - Pearl

BES data flow overview

I have searched the forums for similar topics and have come up empty. I have also check with How Stuff Works and other sites and what is provied is too simplistic.

I am trying to educate myself on how the four related hardware/software devices interact: the BlackBerry Device, the BES, the Exchange Server (and Domino for that matter), and the Outlook Client.  Is there such a document or white paper here or on blackberry.com?

I teach classes on how to effectively use a Blackberry for time and workload management.  I constantly get questions as to why certain things happen, like messages that are deleted or moved in the Outlook Client seem to remain in the BlackBerry message folder for quite a while, sometimes requiring a "Reconcile Now", yet "read" messages seem to update the message folder very quickly.

Another example that I worked out by trial and error is that when you keep notes on a contact only the first 1096 characters are synced with the blackberry.  If you edit a note on the Blackberry that has less than that maximum, your changes are synced back to the client.  If you edit a note that has more than that mazimum, only the 1096 get synced back and all other note data in the client is truncated.

I guess I am looking for a data flow document or more indepth description of what is happening.  

Thanks in advance. 

Kirk Justus
Director of Training, Central US
Priority Management
Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne
My Device: Bold

Re: BES data flow overview

Kirk -

The BEST place to start is here: BlackBerry - Manuals and Guides 

Download the docs for the flavor / version you're using ... all of the docs.

Go through them and you will see LOTS of diagrams explaining the flow, encryption, etc of everything.

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/