Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
My Device: 9700

BES database server offline

Hi

Running BES 4.1.7 (Windows 2003) with a SQL 2005 (Windows 2003) database. The database is a seperate physical box and we have 5 different BES servers.

Next Saturday, we need to move the SQL server, amongst others, from one location in the datastore to the another. The BES servers are virtual and will remain up as the ESX servers are not being move. The SQL server's IP etc will remain the same, but due to the number of servers being moved we are looking at the SQL server being offline for about 5 hours.

I don't know how BES will function without access to the DB. Is it worthwhile to shut down the BES servers, or can we leave them up but without access to SQL? Exchange is also unaffected so will emails be deliverd/recvd on BB devices?

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: BES database server offline

BES will contiinue to work for a while when SQL is down. But if BES needs to be restarted, it will not since SQL is down.

Also no device backups will be done during this time and some other logging as well.

I hope it wont take 5 hours to complete your move, I have moved mine in the past in less than 1 hour.

Use this to move it.

KB03112 - How to move the BlackBerry Configuration Database to a new Microsoft SQL Server instance

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

Thanks for replying.

It's the actual physical SQL server that is being moved to another room, we're not moving the SQL database to another server , if that makes sense.

But you are saying we should be good although if we restart the BES or any services we will run into issues? Do you know why?

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

[ Edited ]

Neil4933 wrote:

Thanks for replying.

It's the actual physical SQL server that is being moved to another room, we're not moving the SQL database to another server , if that makes sense.

But you are saying we should be good although if we restart the BES or any services we will run into issues? Do you know why?

oh an actual server move, then move it and plug it in.

BES uses the database to start up its services, to know what users mailbox to contact and what devices to send to, it is the heart of BES.

Recommendations for when the Microsoft SQL Server is unavailable or offline for maintenance

yeah it says 10 minutes, but I have run mine for 4 hours with no issue. you wont be able to manage or do much of anything until SQL comes back online.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

Yeah, which is why I'm confused how BES can carry onto work without the server being up?