Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Developer
pdominique
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

BES for MDS Applications installation

Hi,

I just installed a BES for MDS Applications and now I'd like to activate a device.

I don't have a "real" mail server (that's why I installed a BES for MDS Apps) but installed a free mail server because it seems to be required. This server is configured locally on our network. Is it possible to activate the devices OTA if the server cannot receive e-mails from the outside world?

OTA activation doesn't seem to work. If I put my personal e-mail address during activation, I receive an activation e-mail but of course the BES can't read it.

I tried to connect the device to the server using USB but the device is not recognized. What am I supposed to do to assign the device to a user using the BB Manager?

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
BBsingh
My Device: 8120, Storm, 8200

Re: BES for MDS Applications installation

connecting the device to BES machine via USb and then assign device is the only activation option you have.
Click on KUDOS to appreciate our efforts and mark the thread RESOLVED if your issue is resolved.
Please use plain text.
Developer
pdominique

OTA is not possible with a BES for MDS Apps? So why does the installation program require an imap server? I had to install a free mail server yerstersay just to perform the installation.

I tried to assign the device via USB when the OTA activation failed but the device doesn't seem to be recognized by windows (no driver?) and the BES (no handheld detected). Do you know how to configure the ports in order to do this or if I have to install additional software or drivers?

Please use plain text.
Developer
pdominique

Okay, I got an answer from a contact from RIM. The imap server is required to enterprise activate handhelds OTA. No need to install a mail server, any imap server should be ok. You just need to create a unique account to activate all handhelds.

I tried to activate my handheld using a Gmail account with imap activated but it didn't work so I used another free e-mail provider (laposte.net) and now mi handheld is activated.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
BBsingh
My Device: 8120, Storm, 8200

here is more documentation incse you need it:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/server/mobile

Click on KUDOS to appreciate our efforts and mark the thread RESOLVED if your issue is resolved.
Please use plain text.
New Developer
garryls

So sorry to hear the MDS will be discountinued by RIM on 12/31/2009.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
webdork

Yes it is VERY sad that BES for MDS will be discontinued :s

@OP: Use something like fastmail.fm .. setup a quick account to get it activated; I would advise against using your normal IMAP account if the IMAP server is outside of the network / LAN, since  BES for MDS cannot talk SSL/TLS and will send your credentials in plain text (a big travesty of BES IMO).

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

garryls wrote:

So sorry to hear the MDS will be discountinued by RIM on 12/31/2009.

Do you have anything to back this up with like a link?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.