Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
ghouseholder
My Device: Not Specified

BES functionality Question

My Network Manager was playing around with his Blackberry last night and discovered that going to a blocked webpage from his blackberry was being blocked by our Surf Control solution. This got him wondering about the connectivity of his blackberry on our network. He found a Blackberry Remote Desktop client and sure enough he could remote to one of the servers.

This is a problem in the eyes of the network and he is asking me if there is something we can do to resolve this so a Blackberry user can only gain access to their email and not anything else on the local network.

Thanks,

Gregory Householder

Systems Engineering Manager

BES 4.0.7.11

100 Users

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne
My Device: Bold

Re: BES functionality Question

ghouseholder wrote:

My Network Manager was playing around with his Blackberry last night and discovered that going to a blocked webpage from his blackberry was being blocked by our Surf Control solution. This got him wondering about the connectivity of his blackberry on our network. He found a Blackberry Remote Desktop client and sure enough he could remote to one of the servers.

This is a problem in the eyes of the network and he is asking me if there is something we can do to resolve this so a Blackberry user can only gain access to their email and not anything else on the local network.

Thanks,

Gregory Householder

Systems Engineering Manager

BES 4.0.7.11

100 Users

Yes, disable MDS for each user that you want this functionality blocked for.  Then you can configure an IT Policy setting to set their default browser to be the Carrier browser and not the BlackBerry Browser (which routes through your BES).

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
Please use plain text.