Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
Gizmo45
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9810

BES newbie looking for some help (LOTUS Notes)

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone,

I have an old BES 4.0.6.7 server here at my work that is giving me some problems when I try and setup a new activation password for one of the users. When I first open the application, I recieve a pop up error message that reads "Application Error - please report to support personnel if problem persists."

From there, I'm not able to do much. I get that same error when I go to view all of the managed handsets, and after I click OK again, I can see all the handsets connected to the server, but I can't find the link to set an activation password.

I did not setup this BES server, I really don't really know how they work, nor do I really manage it (the guy who normally does it out and unavaliable), so I would appreciate it if you could walk me through what I need to do to hopefully make this thing work again.

Thanks for you help in advance. This is running on a Windows Server 2003 SP2 box

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: BES newbie looking for some help

thats an old version of BES. I would apply SP7 to it since you list it as SP6.

have you tried to restart the BES server?

if you want to be more current and dont use any fancy IT policies, maybe an upgrade to BES 5 express is in order.

If you lack the 1000.00 dollars fro full BES upgrade, you can get BES express for free.

BES Express 5 press release
http://press.rim.com/release.jsp?id=3546

About BES Express 5

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/business/server/express/

Any of the following operating systems:
• Windows Server® 2003 SP2 (32-bit or 64-bit)
• Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 (32-bit or 64-bit)
• Windows Server 2008 SP2 (32-bit or 64-bit)
• Windows® Small Business Server 2003
• Windows Small Business Server 2008

Free SRP, yes FREE!
Free 10000 CALs (2k per server) again FREE!
BIS or BES dataplan will work on it.
MAX 75 users when installed on the exchange server.
Over 50 IT policies (remote wipe included)
Exchange 2003, 2007, 2010 suppoted

Over The Air Enterprise Activation for Bes Express 5 with BIS

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Professional-Software/Activating-Devices-That-are-...

BES/SBE/BPS 4.x upgrade options to BES Express 5.0

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
Gizmo45
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9810

Knottyrope,

Thank you for your response. We are currently in the process of moving users over from Lotus Notes to Exchange/Outlook, so we have a BES 5 server running on the Exhcange side which we are trying to move everyone over to. However, we still have people that haven't been migrated yet, and are still using Lotus Notes on the BES 4 server.

I have rebooted the BES 4 server and continued to get the same error messages. When I signed in, I recieved a pop-up that stated that a service or a driver has failed during startup, and to check the Event Viewer.

The Event Viewer was full of errors (probably over 200 from just today). Not sure if there is anything specificly that I should be looking for, otherwise I would post some of them up. The most common source of the errors stem from the following:

"BlackBerry Dispatcher CN=*servername*/OU=*Organizational Unit*/O=*domain*

MNGR

Blackberry Messaging Agent *severname* (the most popular one)

SQLCTR70

Not sure where to go from here. I'm really trying to avoid doing service pack upgrade when we plan on shutting this server down hopefully soon anyways. I'm just trying to limp it along a little bit more :smileywink:

Thanks again.

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Im not good with Lotus Notes.

maybe a call is in order.

https://www.blackberry.com/besc/dashboard/

All at absolutely no cost to you or your organization!

The BESC gives you a suite of valuable tools, and includes a Complimentary Support Incident should you need to contact BlackBerry Technical Support directly.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V