Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
catsmeow
My Device: Not Specified

BES removal

[ Edited ]

I apologize upfront if I don't use the right lingo and my questions seem very basic.  I am not very techincal when it comes to my Blackberry other than simply using it.

I have my own personal BB and for the last while have been using it for work.  They paid the bill but it was my phone.  I had my work email on it and it was linking to their server.  Sorry I don't really know the technical way to say that.  Basically it used BES and everything went through their server.

Since I quit the other day the IT Dept has been saying they'll "get back to me" about getting rid of the BES on the BB.  Until then obviously anything I do on it isn't private.  I was googling around and saw that I could wipe out everything on it and reset it to factory settings.  I did it and it appears to be competely blank.  (Fine by me and I backed up everything I needed prior.)

So is my phone free and clear of the BES now?  If I activate my personal email on it do they have any access?  The reason I especially hesitate is I still communicate with many employees from this company and we have our b*tch sessions.  Obviously I wouldn't want any of that to be viewed by the company as they would probably be fired. 

The first icon on the phone is a briefcase with an email sticking out and when you click on it is says "Enterprise Activation."  Doesn't that mean if I activated an email account via that it would be visible by them?  Or is this standard on all Blackberries?  Also, if it does mean Enterprise Activation is where I'd set up my corporate email but if I don't set one up, does that mean they have no access to my phone?

God some of you must think I'm an **bleep** but I signed a confidentiality agreement with this company and I can't be going along my merry way griping about them to my ex coworkers and then find out they've been able to view everything about that and my personal life.  When I used my phone for work I was careful not to put anything personal in print but now my phone is useless if anything electronic goes through them.

Tx to anyone who takes the time to answer this.

Message Edited by catsmeow on 03-16-2009 03:01 AM
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: BES removal

If it is wiped then you are good to go.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
catsmeow

Thank you for your reply. I was a little worried because the Enterprise Activation option was still there but I realize now it's just a feature that comes with the phone to begin with for those who want to use it.
Forums Veteran I
bbhorrigan
My Device: 8900

well it doesn't always come with the phone to begin with, its whatever service plan you have on the BlackBerry. For example, if you have an enterprise data plan and have it removed, until those service books are removed, it will still look as if you have a enterprise activation icon until those are removed, which might not ever happen.

If someone helped you give them kudos. Research all info!
New Contributor
catsmeow

I'm going to check in to my data plan this week and see if I want to make any changes to it so thanks for that info.

I'm assuming even though the phone has an Enterprise Data plan if I don't have it activated (with an email address using a password from my ex employer) it isn't active.

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

after wiping a device there is no connection to the BES anymore.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
catsmeow

Thnaks everyone I really appreciate the replies.

I have my personal email on it but grrrrrrr...I can send but not receive emails now.  No idea why.  I know there's a feature on that that says "Send to Handheld" but can't find it.  I did get a few come through this morning and then nothing.  I sent the Service Books to see if that would help and that's when those emails came through but since then nothing, though it's going to my computer.

Forums Veteran I
bbhorrigan
My Device: 8900

Is the date and time set correctly?

If someone helped you give them kudos. Research all info!
New Contributor
catsmeow

I went in this afternoon to my carrier and they registered my Blackberry and it seems to have fixed things.  I am now receiving emails!