Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

BESMgmtlog.ldf is VERY large and taking up lots of space.

I manage a BES server with 26 users, version is 4.0.2.8.  I have noticed that the BESMgmtlog.ldf file that is located in MSSQL/Data folder in Program Files is unusually large, just over 9GB to be exact.  Is there a way to truncate is file and prevent it so it will not reach over a certain size?  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 
Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8120, Storm, 8200

Re: BESMgmtlog.ldf is VERY large and taking up lots of space.

do you see any errors in windows event logs under Aplication logs. If you notice anything in regard to transaction logs, please pos it here
Click on KUDOS to appreciate our efforts and mark the thread RESOLVED if your issue is resolved.
Contributor

Yeah, I'm getting a bunch of 20301, 20274, 20275, 20265, 20171, and other warnings in the event log.  Everything having to do with failing to save configuration settings to failing to retrieve data.  This is happening like every 20-30 seconds, a burst of warnings will come through, obviously when the Blackberry's are syncing.  Oddly enough, all Blackberry users(including me) are not experiencing any issues.  Still, the Application log doesn't look right, is this why the .ldf file is getting so enormous?
Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8120, Storm, 8200

its not supose to be. as is aid you see any transaction logs warnings in app logs? somthing like transaction log size too big or you can try www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB03968

Click on KUDOS to appreciate our efforts and mark the thread RESOLVED if your issue is resolved.
Contributor

Yeah it looks like the transaction logs were never limited on their file size, looks like it's been growing for quite sometime.  I'm going to limit the size to about 128MB or so, I will do this after I get a backup of the database tonight.  I'll update this tomorrow to see if the file size decreased without errors.
Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

What is the recovery model for your BESMgmt database?

Set it to simple, perform a full backup of the db, and do some shrinking.

Then set database management tasks to do maintenance / optimizations weekly

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
Contributor

[ Edited ]
Right now it is set to full.  Will shrinking the database during working hours cause any issues?  Sorry, I've always waited after business hours to do things like this incase there's any down time, since we really can't afford it.
Message Edited by brooksb on 08-20-2008 09:23 AM
Contributor

I did a full backup of the DB and transaction log but Shrinking the database does nothing, it does not keep the size I have set.  Should I delete the current ldf file now that I have a backup of it, will it create a new .ldf file?
Forums Veteran II

brooksb wrote:
Right now it is set to full.  Will shrinking the database during working hours cause any issues?  Sorry, I've always waited after business hours to do things like this incase there's any down time, since we really can't afford it.
Message Edited by brooksb on 08-20-2008 09:23 AM

Change it to simple; no need for it to be at full.  After changing it, back it up and shrink it.  You can do this while the database is in use ... the server will just take a performance it, but BES / other databases will continue to work.

If you want, wait until off-hours, but at no point do any databases come offline during the operation.

Forums Veteran II

brooksb wrote:
I did a full backup of the DB and transaction log but Shrinking the database does nothing, it does not keep the size I have set.  Should I delete the current ldf file now that I have a backup of it, will it create a new .ldf file?

Did you change the model to simple? Don't delete the LDF.  bad bad bad.

Simple = good ... KB11209 - The SQL transaction log file for the BESMgmt database on the Microsoft SQL Server is full