Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
Tomskie
My Device: blade
Accepted Solution

BESv4.1.7 in one Exchange Org > Migrate > BES5.0.3 in a different Exchange Org

Hello All,

I'm a bit of a newbie to BES etc.  But have to migrate two BES instances:

The old one that is to be shut down is a v4.1.7 and runs off the back of Exchange 2007

The new one is v5.0.3 running off Exchange 2010

Users will be migrated to a new domain and mailboxes will be moved from 2007 to 2010.  We want to move the BES server they are on and move the licenses onto the v5 BES.

What is the best way of doing this? 

Is there any documentation with instructions?

How would the experts proceed? :smileywink:

Very grateful for any help!

Cheers

Tomsk

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: BESv4.1.7 in one Exchange Org > Migrate > BES5.0.3 in a different Exchange Org

Tomskie wrote:

Hello All,

I'm a bit of a newbie to BES etc.  But have to migrate two BES instances:

The old one that is to be shut down is a v4.1.7 and runs off the back of Exchange 2007

The new one is v5.0.3 running off Exchange 2010

Users will be migrated to a new domain and mailboxes will be moved from 2007 to 2010.  We want to move the BES server they are on and move the licenses onto the v5 BES.

What is the best way of doing this? 

Is there any documentation with instructions?

How would the experts proceed? :smileywink:

Very grateful for any help!

Cheers

Tomsk

So two diff exchange orgs, this will require backing up old device, wipe, restore from backup and activate on new BES after you move the mail box.

CALs can be moved over at anytime, only SBS and free CALs might not move over. Support might be able to assist if you have many SBS CALs.

Do you hae a spare SRP or T support? I ask becasue you can only run one BES with an SRP.

Did you buy the upgrade to BES 5? it is not free unless you are going to BES express 5.

Here is most of the documentation you need will to install and administer the BB 5.0 server:

Server 5.0 Intsallation Support:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/software/serverinstall.jsp

BlackBerry Enterprise Server Resource Kit Docs and Files

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=D736BB10D83A904AEFC1D6CE93DC54B8

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/subcategories/?userType=2&category=BlackBerry%20Enterprise%20Ser...

Server 5.0 Admin Tutorial:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/deliverables/7466/flash_start.html

All Server guides:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/?userType=2

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Tomskie

Re: BESv4.1.7 in one Exchange Org > Migrate > BES5.0.3 in a different Exchange Org

Hello Knottyrope,

Yes - two different exchange orgs.  From digging, I see that it is not possible to use the Enterprise Transporter inter Org in Exchange 5.5, 2000 or 2003.  Is this still the case with Exchange 2007/2010?

What's an SBS CAL?

What's SRP and T support?

Not sure if upgrades have been purchased?  I have left a number of VMs with our sales rep, but he doesn't want to talk me I don't think :smileywink:  

Thank you for your help.

Regards

Tomsk

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

[ Edited ]

Tomskie wrote:

Hello Knottyrope,

Yes - two different exchange orgs.  From digging, I see that it is not possible to use the Enterprise Transporter inter Org in Exchange 5.5, 2000 or 2003.  Is this still the case with Exchange 2007/2010? Correct.

What's an SBS CAL? Small Bussiness Server Client Access License, it is possible your BES migt have been a SBS version unless you know that it is not.

What's SRP and T support?  SRP is the identifing nember of your BES.

What is the BlackBerry Enterprise Server SRP Identifier and SRP Authentication Key

T support is a support package from RIM for BES.

Not sure if upgrades have been purchased?  I have left a number of VMs with our sales rep, but he doesn't want to talk me I don't think :smileywink:  

Thank you for your help.

Regards

Tomsk

I think you should start on some reading on BES, have a look at the manuals and some of the posts here.

feel free to ask questions too.

BES 5 is not free, you can get the upgrade for about 1000.00 USD or maybeyour carrier might make a deal with you if you get 20 new devices. I was able to even get some free CALs this way as well.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Tomskie

Excellent. Many thanks for your help.

I iwll check out the SBS option because I know the guys running v4 did start off with an SBS.  

Yup - I have some reading to do :smileyhappy:

Regards

Tomsk

Please use plain text.