Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Blackberry Browser & MDS

We use the Blackberry Browser on the Blackberry device to connect to our company's Intranet applications (http/https traffic). When requesting an http request through the Blackberry browser, does the request first go through a BES/MDS at the telecom company before it is sent to RIM or it goes directly to RIM and then it is received by my company's BES/MDS?

Thanks.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Blackberry Browser & MDS

It really does knot matter since it is encrypted all the way to your BES.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

I know it is encrypted, I just want to understand how the traffic is routed?

Anyone can explain?

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Picture on this page pretty much explains it.

http://www.blackberry.com/ap/products/enterprisesolution/architecture/index.shtml

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Highlighted
New Contributor

FWIW,,this is what I believe is the routing...

From your device to the carrier's tower (see the Host routing table in Advanced Options)

then to RIM's NOC via APN, or the carrier's VPN like setup.

then thru the internet via port 3101 to your firewall

then to your BES-->Router-->Dispatcher-->MDS where it is optimized then the request is sent to the internet

since the session should be stateful, it will(?) come back to your BES, be processed & optimized by the MDS and 

sent to your device by the reverse of the above trail. 

It seems the trail of data is HH-->carrier-->RIM NOC-->your FW-->BES--backout to the site-->back to the BES, process-->all the way back thru the cloud-->RIM-->carrier-->HH

So the Blacberry Browser will save you $$ depending on your data plan/carrier because the Internet one is not optimized, and flows lots more data, and the BB will be faster because the device doesn't work so hard.

OTOH, our infrastructure, BES and otherwise, is restricted and I can't see images on online storage sites, so the Internet browser is cool there, and I can use it. Your question is a good one. It made me think about the $$ issue. I may want to restrict use  of the IB (for the hoi-poloy, regular users, that is.) Smiley Surprised