Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
jthome
My Device: Not Specified

Blackberry Continually Tries To Activate Itself On The BES

This happens once a month to the same user.  Using BES in an Exchange enviornment.  User reported that the Blackberry stopped syncing wirelessly last week.  Upon inspection I found the device was attempting to activate itself on the BES.  Status message is stuck at "Initializing Activation" and does not advance past this point.   I personally activated this device on our BES last month and confirmed all was well before handing off the device.  What causes the device to auto-start an Enterprise Activation?  Please do not respond with basic trouble shooting steps, i.e. wiping the device or recreating the BES account, as I need advanced/expert answers only.  Thank you.

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Blackberry Continually Tries To Activate Itself On The BES

What device and OS?

What version BES are you running?

What steps have you taken so far so we don't repeat them.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
jthome

Blackberry 8820: OS 4.5.110

BES: 4.1.6

Steps Taken:

Wiped and reloaded device software.  Deleted/recreated user's BES account and activated device on the BES.

Ran "Outlook /resetfolders" command from user's laptop prior to Enterprise Activation.

Confirmed with service provider that the user's account was provisioned correctly.  Confirmed data services on device were operational.

Confirmed BES policies and settings were correct.

Thank you.

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Did you enable Secure Wipe If Low Battery in IT Policy under Security Policy Group?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

New Contributor
jthome

No.  The device had not been wiped.  All data was still intact but the device was attempting to re-activate on the BES.  When I cancelled the activation (which did not show the usual progress % and services being synched) I briefly saw that some of the services had completed synching but then the screen reset and I was back to the Enterprise Activation screen asking for email address and password.  Thank you.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

Have you tried using a different device and have the same result.

New Contributor
jthome

No.  The device in question was purchased last month and had been working up until last week.  In any case, I have confirmed that it is not a device hardware issue.  The issue lies with the server and or BES account.  I just don't know what the issue is.

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

Is there anything in the BES logs at the time it happened?

Forums Advisor III
OzBBerry42
My Device: 8300

Hello,

Ensure that the BES Service Account does NOT have  Admin/Domain Admin rights.....

Checked out my Blackberry FAQ's and Links to Needed Articles here
http://darkeen.homelinux.com/index.php/Blackberryfaq
New Contributor
jthome

The issue is isolated to a single user's BES account.  If the permissions were incorrect then the issue would be accross the board for all BES accounts, correct?