Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
dbs3bs
My Device: Not Specified

Blackberry Set Up and Activation Problems

Hi there from a newbie to the Blackberry world!

I am currently trying to activate a couple of Blackberry's at work and I am encoutering some problems trying to activate their e-mail accounts on their Blackberry. I have created the isers in the Blackberry Device Manager on the Server I want to add, set the password, made sure their details are correct and that seems fine and ready for activation.

When I get the Blackberry though and try to activate it through Enterprise activation in advanced options, I am encountering an error message when it reaches the 'acquiring service connection' stage. The error message reads  'Activation Request Failed - Service Connection Is Unavailable'. I am wondering the specifics behind this error and what I can do to amend this.

My first thought is that it is a problem with the network coverage. The problem is that I have set up previous Blackberry's in the same location using the same methods and they have worked fine, so I'm a little perplexed why these two aren't following suit.

If anyone could shed some light on this or recommend where I should go I would be grateful!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dbarney

Re: Blackberry Set Up and Activation Problems

I am right now running into a situation similar,. We have a new BES server installed, and it is working fine for 3 users. We are trying to add two more, but they both get "Service connection is unavailable".
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor
FaceMan

I would see if you can send PIN to PIN. If not then device is not provisioned or out of coverage. If the device is provisioned properly by the carrier, try resetting the device and then reactivating. I had to do that for a few uses when i got the same error message.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dbarney

What do you mean by "send PIN to PIN". How do I do this?
Please use plain text.
FaceMan

[ Edited ]

When you go to messages, click on menu and should see Compose PIN. Enter another Users PIN and see if it can send receive PIN messages. If so we know the device is proviosioned on the network. I would suggest a Hard reset if the device has coverage. Also if u go into options, status you can see the signal strenght and the PIN number for refrence.

Message Edited by FaceMan on 05-21-2008 11:15 AM
Please use plain text.
Contributor
dbarney

PIN from our BES Server, of one that works fine. The user in question tried to send, but said it did not send out. I told him to call his phone provider, and talk to them about this, as it may be a provisioning problem.

I have already had him wipe his device, and take the batter out for a minute, then turn it back on.

Please use plain text.
FaceMan

If the reset did'nt help and he still couldnt send/receive PIN messages then good chance the device is not provisioned for BES data. His carrier should be able to hook him up.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dbs3bs

Hi there, thank you for the response, I can't get hold of the guy at the moment who is having the aforementioned error to do the PIN test!

What I have checked though is that the network provider, Orange, has set him and the others all up as Business users and Enterprise Server ready.

I have tried to set another guy up today and this time we are recieving a 'Server is not responding - Please contact your administrator' error once we go through Enterprise activation and insert the e-mnail and password. The password and e-mail are valid and not expired. Also I am certain it is not a network coverage issue with either user as we have set up Blackberry's in the past from the same office and have not encountered problems like either of these issues.

Also in regards to resetting, how do you do this? Is this a case of removing the battery and reconnecting again or is it settings within the actual phone that do this?

Regards

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
aflerra

Here is some steps I do if I have problems activating a BlackBerry.

First check to see if you have data coverage AT&T capital EDGE or Sprint / Verizon 1XEV.  If they are lower case or 1x then you will have to call the carrier to check the data plan.

Second try a PIN to PIN message

Go to (Settings)>>Options>>Status

Scroll down to PIN

Press the menu button or wheel and choose Copy PIN

Go back to the main page

Go into Messages

Press the menu button or wheel and choose Compose PIN

Press the ball or wheel and choose Paste

Subject can be anything ( I ususally type test)

Send the message

If you get a X there is on data plan on the Blackberry.  You should get a check mark with a D on it.

If that works and the activation still does not work.  Wipe the BlackBerry and try the activation again

If it still does not work.  Check to see if the user is getting the activation email and his/her mailbox is in the right area.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
OzBBerry42
My Device: 8300

Hello db23bs,

In my experience, 'Activation Request Failed - Service Connection Is Unavailable' ALWAYS refers to the fact that the Mobile doesnt have the right plan, OR that the Blackberry isnt connecting to the network.

Firstly, do a Hard Reset. - pull the battery out WITHOUT turning the BB off (VERY IMPORTANT THIS!)

Wait 5 seconds and put the battery back in and wait for the 3-5 mins until the device restarts.

You should now have GPRS or EDGE in Capitals -anything else means your not connected to the Blackberry network. 

Once it starts, do the PIN2PIN test as outlined above.

If you get the PIN message received back and the 'D' appears next to the sent item then the message has been delivered by the BB network to the PIN. (at this point you should be jumping with 'Hoorray!"

If you still cant send PIN2PIN then you' havent got a Blackberry plan on the mobile service. Get the Carrier to check the SIM Card against the Mobile account (make sure the SIM Card is the one for that Mobile number!)

That will handle this issue (the first and hopefully the last) anyway!

Checked out my Blackberry FAQ's and Links to Needed Articles here
http://darkeen.homelinux.com/index.php/Blackberryfaq
Please use plain text.