Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Calling the web service/downloading the App from the web server which is under Corporate BES

Hell All,

Hemant here,  We have developed an Application in the BlackBerry, which includes some web service call and also we do provide the user facility to download the Application Over The Air.

So, we have created Dot New web Service, and deployed it on server and we are calling it from the BB devic, also we have kept our application on web server for OTA download.

All, the things are working fine in it.

So, we have a new client, who is having there own Corporate  BlackBerry Enterprise Server, So, our web services will reside in web server . And also for OTA download we have to keep the .cod files on the same server which will be inside the BES.

So, obviously our request will go through Enterprise server,Also  our client want only registered user should access the Application.

So, only regisetered user of BES, will access our application.

I heard something about internal(private) and external(public ) Ip address. So, the regisetered user of BES will going to call the web service or download the Application by using the Internal Ip Address, and BES will take care of rest of the things.

So, my question is Do we have to take some extra steps fo calling the web service Or download the Application from the webserver(which resides under BES), or will it work as usual?.

I am really confused here, Is there any other things changed when we call the web server which is inside BES?.

can anyone please help me out here...If I am wrong here then please point me out...

Thanks and keenly waitng for you reply

o(-_-)o
Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

Re: Calling the web service/downloading the App from the web server which is under Corporate BES

You'll call it just the same.  A simple way to test a users result while using a BlackBerry handheld through the BES for Internet access is to browse to the site from a web browser on the BES
------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
Developer

Re: Calling the web service/downloading the App from the web server which is under Corporate BES

Hello Andy and All,

Thansk for you reply,

So, you mean I just need to call the web service by using Internal Ip Address and also while downloading also I need to type the Internal Ip address link from BB browser, and BES will take care of rest of things.

Is it so?

Thanks,

Hemant

o(-_-)o
Forums Veteran II

Hermant -

That is absolutely correct.  The one caveat, is that the BlackBerry users must use the BlackBerry Browser and not the Internet Browser on their BlackBerry HH.  When they use the BlackBerry Browser the BES acts an http proxy for the HHs.  Any address entered on the HH while using the BlackBerry browser is effectively the same as entering that address on the BES itself through Internet Explorer.

I would highly recommend staying away from using an IP address and rather use a DNS name; just in case the application moves or something else has to change.

Developer

Getting Http Error 503 when trying to call web service on the server which is under BES

[ Edited ]

Hello AndyDufresne and all,

I continued my work with your suggestion.

But now I am having some problem.

So, we have our application ready for our client which is having there own BES. Our Application is calling java web sevice which are set up on web server(which is under BES). Also, we have provided OTA download facility to download the App from web server(which is under BES).

So, user(registered to BES) is able to download the the APP from web server via  OTA. Downloading works OK.

But, when my Application is trying to call the web service from web server. It simply not able to access the server.

I am just making an HttpConnection  to the web service from my App.

I am getting Error 503: Service Unavailable on device.

So, I search quite a lot on the forums about this error.  And I think the reason might be BESAdmin needs to enable BlackBerry Mobile Data System (BlackBerry MDS) on BlackBerry Enterprise Server for the BB device.

But if this is the reason then user should not be able download the App from Browser, as it is connecting to same server.As other people are getting the same exception from browser. But in my case it is working OK from browser.

I am not able to figure out the exact reason here.

It has to do with access to our app on the enterprise server ?

I mean is there any setting on BES to restrict the call from a unknown Application(like my Application) even though the BB user is registerd with BES.

Also, one more thing, I read about Application control policy rules in the BlackBerry Enterprise Server Reference Guide http://www.mynationlink.com/blackberryguy/downloads/BlackBerry%20Enterprise%20Server%20Policy%20Refe...

This pdf describes Application control policy rules, such as Interprocess Communication,Internal Network Connections,External Network Connections etc.

Is there any such setting needs to do on BES. But, then how will BES know about my Application.

Or is there any proxy setting on device?.

Can anyone please guide me here. Am I missing something here?

Is there any setting that I need to do on device/BES to call the web service from my App on device.

Thanks... Appreciate your response...

Message Edited by hemant on 11-14-2008 03:09 PM
Message Edited by hemant on 11-14-2008 04:07 PM
o(-_-)o
Forums Veteran II

Re: Getting Http Error 503 when trying to call web service on the server which is under BES

If the application is attempting to make an internal network connection (even if http) it would need an application control policy set to allow it.  IIRC by default internal network connections are set to prompt ... so in theory a user should be prompted and not outright restricted.

Please be sure to use this as a Policy Reference Guide, it is hosted on RIMs servers and the URL is updated each time a new version of the guide is published.

Do the MDS logs show any connectivity?

Developer

Re: Getting Http Error 503 when trying to call web service on the server which is under BES

Thanks AndyDufresne for your quick reply,

So, you mean to access the web service from my App, I need to set the "internal network connections" policy rule for my App to Allow on BES. I will tell my BES Admin to do so.

Apart from this do you think is there any other things I need to set on BES/Device?

But, does BES knows which Applications are installed on users HH?

Thanks,

Hemant

o(-_-)o
Forums Veteran II

hemant wrote:

Thanks AndyDufresne for your quick reply,

So, you mean to access the web service from my App, I need to set the "internal network connections" policy rule for my App to Allow on BES. I will tell my BES Admin to do so.

Apart from this do you think is there any other things I need to set on BES/Device?

But, does BES knows which Applications are installed on users HH?

Thanks,

Hemant

As long as there is nothing else your application needs access to do.  Perhaps you should sit with your BES Admin and go through the list of Application Control Policies to see what else might need to be set.  Based on the little I know, you should just need the internal connections set to allowed.

BES indeed does know what a HH has on it.  The handheld reports back information of what is installed on it and through this process and through IT policy, policies are applied to applications.

Developer

[ Edited ]
Thanks for your reply.
As BES Admin and me are not at same location we need to figure out the situation on phone.
The BES version we are using is 4.1.6.
I told him to make this Internal n/w connection policy rule for my APP to Allow. But he is saying the terminiology has been changed and hence could not guarantee that the intended effect is obtained by what is mentioned.  
For 4.1.6,  is the term for  "Internal n/w connection" policy is changed?.
Also, can you please tell me step by step, what he supposed to do on BES to change these things?
Also, I have some quetions,
What is latest version of BES software available?
Can the BB HanHeld be connected to multiple BES?
Also, if the HH is registered with BES, as we know when we try to ping BEs with internal Ip, the request will go th' BES.
But ,from my App If I try to connect to say www.google.com, then does the reques will go th' BES?
Can you please clarify these points here?
Thanks
Message Edited by hemant on 11-18-2008 12:58 PM
Message Edited by hemant on 11-18-2008 12:58 PM
o(-_-)o
Forums Veteran II

I've made my comments in line with your questions  / comments in bold.

hemant wrote:
Thanks for your reply.
As BES Admin and me are not at same location we need to figure out the situation on phone.
The BES version we are using is 4.1.6.
I told him to make this Internal n/w connection policy rule for my APP to Allow. But he is saying the terminiology has been changed and hence could not guarantee that the intended effect is obtained by what is mentioned.  
For 4.1.6,  is the term for  "Internal n/w connection" policy is changed?.
>> An application control policy needs to be assigned with Internal Network Connecctions set to Allowed.  The default is Prompt User.  This can be done by going to the Software Configurations tab within the BlackBerry Manager with BlackBerry Domain selected.  Once a Software Configuration is created, within that Software Configuration an Application Control Policy can be created and then assigned to a specific application.
Also, can you please tell me step by step, what he supposed to do on BES to change these things?
Also, I have some quetions,
What is latest version of BES software available?
>> The latest version of BES as of this posting is 4.1 SP6 MR2.
Can the BB HanHeld be connected to multiple BES?
>> No, a BlackBerry handheld may only be connected to a single BES, and within that only a single mailbox.
Also, if the HH is registered with BES, as we know when we try to ping BEs with internal Ip, the request will go th' BES.
>> Yes, indeed.
But ,from my App If I try to connect to say www.google.com, then does the reques will go th' BES?
>> It depends on how your app tries to connect.  If it is using the default connection mechanism, it'll do what it can, through the BES by default first ... however if you're going to access www.google.com within the application you'll also need to set an Application Control Policy set to Allowed for External Network Connections.
Can you please clarify these points here?

>> Hope this helps ...
Thanks