Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

toddb
Accepted Solution

Can anyone get BES Manager 4.1 SP6 to run on Vista?

I know that KB13808 says that 4.1 SP5 and earlier will not run on Vista, but they don't mention whether or not SP6 or later is supposed to be able to run.  I haven't had any luck getting this to work.  I tried compatibility mode and running as administrator (instead of just with a user account with admin rights).  Neither worked.  Has anyone had luck with this?  Any word from RIM on eventual compatibility?
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne

Re: Can anyone get BES Manager 4.1 SP6 to run on Vista?

Nope, nada, nothing.
------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
Please use plain text.
Visitor
rfleming

[ Edited ]

I got it to work, although by a hack.  It appeared that the setup program was dying because of a fault in the dll ntdll.dll.

For me I did the following.

Installed 4.1.0 and rebooted.

Exited out of the Configure screen

Went to the BES SP6 uncompressed directory. (C:\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server 4.1.6)

Ran msiexec /a Blackberry Enterprise Server.msi

Admin installed the package to C:\SP6

Opened up two windows explorer windows pointing to

• C:\SP6 
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server

Copy the following from SP6 to the Program Files folder as is.

• BBMgr
  • ConfigUtil
  • Docs
  • Help
  • BESProfile.exe
  • readme.txt

in the Program Files folder open BBMgr\Server\ then copy over from SP6 to this folder

• ServerAuthentication8.dll
  • ClientAuthentication8.dll

Make duplicates of these files, delete ServerAuthentication.dll and ClientAuthentication.dll and rename your copies to these names... so ServerAuthentication8 - Copy.dll becomes ServerAuthentication.dll and so forth.

Now copy over everything from SP6\Common to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\

Once you've done that, re-run the setup.exe from 4.1.0, configure your database and away you go.

It's a hack, but it works... so far.

I must state that this is just a work-around.  We will all have to wait for 'official support' for BlackBerry Manager in Vista.  Hopefully this will arrive in 4.1.7.

Rich

Message Edited by rfleming on 08-21-2008 10:38 AM
Please use plain text.
toddb

Brilliant!!  Worked like a charm!   Thanks so much!!!  
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne

nicely done.  brilliant post.
------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
FastRedPonyCar

I'm new here and the new BES admin for my company and I can't even get 4.1.4 to install on Vista X86 Enterprise.

I get the "BES installation application has stopped working" error immediately when I run the setup.  I've tried running with full permissions, safe mode, turning of UAC, etc... when I first tried running in safe mode, i got a pop up about some visual C++ error.  I've installed the most recent re-distributable for the C++ package as well as installing IIS (which I was told I also had to have but now discover it's not apparently).

what confuses me is that a coworker installed it fine on his vista machine and he has an identical image of the OS as I have only a different model PC.

So I'm kinda lost as to what could be causing the problem.

any answers?  Is there any newer version I might could try to install?

Please use plain text.
Visitor
bligh
My Carrier: TELUS

[ Edited ]

Setup for the BES version 4.1.7 update run fine on my Vista (x86 SP2) desktop, so the workaround described in this thread may no longer be necessary. With any luck the 4.1.7 full install would run OK, but if like me you don't have the full current install start with 4.1.1. (Don't know if earlier would work). Setup for 4.1.1 has always worked for me on Vista. Then run the 4.1.7 update.

Now if we could only get BlackBerry Manager working on Windows 7 without resorting to XP mode ...

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the necro. As with most users out there, we have switched to BES 5 or windows 7. Soon I will be on both.

I was never fond if Vista since beta, but thanks for the heads up and no tags

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info. SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

No Sleep Till BlackBerry 10, A BlackBerry Song by Lil E Click here to listen

See me at BlackBerry Fans Get Hands-On BlackBerry 10 Demo

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

Please use plain text.
rauguste

Can anyone tell me where I can find BES Manager 4.1.0.  I have been combing for weeks now and I have not been able to find it.  I have called BES support, and they don't seem to have it.

Please use plain text.
rauguste

Will this work on Windows 7

Please use plain text.