Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
bigstuff
My Device: Not Specified

Changing MSDE "sa" account password

Hello all:

I just discovered that my MSDE "sa" account was setup with a weak password. 

How will the BES be affected if I change it?  Is it hard-coded anywhere in the BES in a way that BES services will fail to start due to incorrect logons? 

Will I have to stop the BES services before I change the "sa" password and restart them afterwards?

Or is stopping /starting the BES services to change the "sa" password unnecessary?

Steps for changing sa password here --> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321081

Thanks in advance for the great advice that I know I'm going to receive.

:smileyhappy:

New Contributor
bigstuff

Re: Changing MSDE "sa" account password

Hey folks,
Any feedback on this question of mine?  :smileysad:
Any would be greatly appreciated. :smileysurprised:
Much thanks! :smileyhappy:

bigstuff wrote:

Hello all:

I just discovered that my MSDE "sa" account was setup with a weak password. 

How will the BES be affected if I change it?  Is it hard-coded anywhere in the BES in a way that BES services will fail to start due to incorrect logons? 

Will I have to stop the BES services before I change the "sa" password and restart them afterwards?

Or is stopping /starting the BES services to change the "sa" password unnecessary?

Steps for changing sa password here --> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321081

Thanks in advance for the great advice that I know I'm going to receive.

:smileyhappy:

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I found this:

The BlackBerry Enterprise Server service account is using SQL Server authentication (SA) to connect to the Microsoft SQL Server database. The password for SA is changed on the Microsoft SQL Server but is not changed on the BlackBerry Server Configuration Panel.

Resolution Change the password for SA on the BlackBerry Server Configuration Panel.

On BES restart Services might be good after making all the changes.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor
Wildfire

If your BES is using Windows authentication (which it is by default) changing the SA password will have no affect.

If you are using SQL authentication, you'll need to change the password by running the change database wizard. You can find that on the database tab in the BB server configuration.

New Contributor
bigstuff

Folks, 

Thanks so much for clearing up this issue for me.  Please accept my apologies for not responding sooner also.  I've been quite the busy body!

I will investigate further and see what works and what doesn't.

Thanks again for your valuable input! 

New Contributor
bigstuff

Thanks, knottyrope... do you mind sharing where you found this information?  

Can you post or PM me with the URL?  I've been looking for this information for quite sometime now, and couldn't find anything.

Much thanks. 

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

New Contributor
bigstuff

Thanks for the information... we do have it set up to use Windows Authentication, so changing the sa password shouldn't matter... but we have to change it and make it strong as per company policy, etc, etc.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor
FaceMan

It definitely wont affect the BES since your using windows authentication but if you have other programs that are used to connect to your SQL server and setup for SA authentication, make sure you make the appropriate changes to those as well or they wont be able to connect after the change is made.