Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
Smwiley1
My Device: Not Specified

Crashed BES Server

I had the misfortune last week of losing my Exchange /BES Server to a bad RAID controller. I was able to do a parrallel install of Windows 2003 Server Standard and get Exchange etc back up and running. However, I am having trouble with the BES piece. Before I pay for a incident I thought I would ask youy smart people out there for assistance.

We have the Enterprise Server Express - We only have one Blackberry Device - Windows 2003 Server Standard and Exchange 2003. I am a novice with Blackberry so please pardon my ignorance.

I just attempted to install the software back onto my server and I reach the Database Setting "In Progress" screen and get this message "Databasse Server not found. Verify the provided information."  What am I missing?  

Screen Shot

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: Crashed BES Server

a database server must be installed on your system, configured and up and running. I don't know where you can find information regarding the configuration.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne
My Device: Bold

I for some reason cannot see the screenshot you've included ...

When you in BES it should ask you if you have a local database or remote database server ... what did you select?

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
New Contributor
Smwiley1

Thanks for the response.  

The documentation refers to getting to a MSDE 2000 installation selection screen and to select "Local" but I never saw that screen. I ran thru the wizard which makes me reboot after the first few steps including Installation then restarts at "Database Processing" which is where my screen shot comes from.

The screen is prefilled with Database Location "Local" Then it prefills the Microsoft SQL Server with "ALAEXCHANGE" which is the name of my server. The Database Name is "BESMgmt" and the port is "1433" The data Directory is pointing to my local C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$BKUPEXEC\Data which is where the MSDE instance for Veritas Backup Exec is.  The bottom of the screen refers to Windows vs. SQL authentication and Windows is defaulted.

I just do not see where the MSDE database was installed/created. I never saw a screen referring to that. When I click next I get another box that says "Blackberry Enterprise Server Installation" in the bar and the message is "Database Server Not Found. Verify Provided Information". Obviously I am missing something...

Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne

Ahhhhhhh .....

It won't install as it already sees MSDE there ... Backup Exec.

Check this out:

KB11232 - Cannot install a named MSDE instance for BlackBerry Enterprise Server software version 4.1...

New Contributor
Smwiley1

OK - I figured it out - I needed  the Server name and then the BKUPEXEC MSDE instance name. I was then prompted that the database did not exist and did I want to create it. I said yes and it did. I'll let you know how it all comes out after this.

Thanks!!!!!

Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne

EEP.  Watch out with the Backup Exec MSDE instance ... I'm not sure if it does anything funky with its setup.  While I certainly don't like the idea of multiple MSDE servers running; I like the idea of sharing an instance with another application that could upgrade / modify the server at any time ... as it probably assumes it is the only thing on the instance.

New Contributor
Smwiley1

You are so quick on your reply's I can't keep up. I did my initial install with RIM Support and we used the Instance for BKUPEXEC, so I am hoping that will not be an issue in the future. I acutally have an newer version of BU Exec. to load and I should have probably done that first. Maybe I'll hold off. It's been an awful week.

Though "EEP" is not terribly comforting...I appreciate all your input very much! Wish me luck!

Thanks!

Serena

Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne

hehe :smileyhappy:

I'm just more cautious than most.  BES most always gets implemented for a few select people and then it becomes a beast of its own ... with that said, I like to follow recommended best practices, isolate the BES application / components best as possible, while always planning for future upgrades.

Best of luck ... and when your BES environment grows and you need to move the database from MSDE to SQL, give this a review: KB12247 - How to move from an MSDE database to a Microsoft SQL Server database