Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
moyer_jason
My Device: Not Specified

Device and data connection

Hey All,

I am curious how the blackberry device connects to the internet.

Is there a diagram or something.

We have  BES 4.1.6 on MSDE and devices are 8700 through TMobile.

I was wondering do the devices normally use the Tmobile network for browsing the net or go through the BES server.

Thanks as always.

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Device and data connection

moyer_jason wrote:

Hey All,

I am curious how the blackberry device connects to the internet.

Is there a diagram or something.

We have  BES 4.1.6 on MSDE and devices are 8700 through TMobile.

I was wondering do the devices normally use the Tmobile network for browsing the net or go through the BES server. Both unless you block them.

Thanks as always.

KB15242 - How to use IT policy rules to disable browsers on the BlackBerry smartphone

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Retired
CerealBypass
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 9360

This is actually a really good question and worth elaborating on a little more. I get asked this pretty frequently.

If we're talking strictly about browsing the web with the BlackBerry smartphone, there's essentially two ways to do it.

Internet Browser

Every BlackBerry smartphone with the BlackBerry Internet Browsing Service (BIBS) provided to it by the carrier is able to access the web directly using the Internet Browser (aka the IBS Browser). In this case, the browser talks to the carrier's network and then connects to the Internet. Nothing is routed through your BES and your network.

BlackBerry Browser

If a BlackBerry user does not have (BIBS) as part of their data service from the carrier, but still wants to browse, all is not lost. Using the BlackBerry Browser (aka the MDS Browser) the user can browse. The request is then sent through the carrier's network back to the BES which then makes the HTTP request on behalf of the user and pushes the result back out to the device. In this case, the BES is effectively doing the browsing for the device and the device is only talking to the BES. Consequently, anything the BES can see, the device can see. This includes internal websites. Things get a little more interesting when you take into account the fact that you can route the BES web traffic through a proxy, thus allowing you to monitor what your users are browsing on their devices.

Both browsers can be controlled by IT policy as my friend knotty posted.

It's worth mentioning the third browsing option, which would be the WAP browser that is exclusively provided by the carrier. This browser makes use of only the carrier network and does not require any type of BlackBerry specific data plan, however, many carriers do charge a fee for its use.

My Device: 8300

Good question and a Very Good Answer....

Someone should sticky this.... ,hint, hint> 

:smileywink:

Checked out my Blackberry FAQ's and Links to Needed Articles here
http://darkeen.homelinux.com/index.php/Blackberryfaq
New Contributor
bowillis

How do you determine which browser you are using?
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

you look on the HH and see the default browser if it is not set in IT policy.

KB16463 - How to change the default browser on a BlackBerry smartphone

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Developer
BlondMobile

is there a way to monitor the data usage? Both from the BES and from the device?

For example,  if I would like to monitor how much internet data I'm using, is there a way to do so?

What API I should be looking for?

Thanks

Retired
CerealBypass
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 9360

The BES doesn't keep track of data usage. This would be something that would have to be checked by the carrier.

I know some carriers used to tell you how much data you used when you dial #DATA on the device. Not sure if that still works. Here in Canada, you can check your data usage online.