Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
Microboot
My Device: Not Specified

Disable or remove service provider application shortcuts

We are in the process of moving to a different mobile provider for all our mobile needs including BlackBerry. The sim cards we are being provided with have links to applications like Facebook Mobile, Google Talk, Yahoo Messenger and MySpace which when clicked install the app and allow the user to access the service. The mobile provider has said there is no way they can remove these links (Which I think is rubbish) so I was wondering if any of you knew of a way to either delete these links or block them using a policy. ANy help provided will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Michael

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Disable or remove service provider application shortcuts

cant block the links with ITpolicy that I am aware of.

You can Control and remove third-party applications using a software configuration

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB05392

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Retired
BesManian_Devil

Hi Mircroboot,

As I am unaware of your BlackBerry Server version there are a few options you can choose:

To remove the application icons pushed by the wireless providers, termed virtually preloaded applications, please enable the following IT Policy located in the Browser policy group:  - Allow Application Download Services: False  

The above IT policy rule is only applicable for BlackBerry Smartphone’s with handheld software version 4.3 or higher. For BlackBerry handheld software lower than 4.3, you can eliminate the virtually preloaded applications by disabling all browser servers other than the BlackBerry Browser.

You can disable all other browsing services by setting the following IT Policy in the Service Exclusivity policy group:  - Allow Other Browser Services: False 

Also you could use the Disable Public Social Networking Applications IT policy rule

This IT policy specifies whether a BlackBerry Smartphone is allowed to run applications like MySpace or Facebook for BlackBerry Smartphone’s.

Settings:

False - The MySpace for BlackBerry smartphones application will function as designed. The MySpace for BlackBerry smartphones user can upload pictures to MySpace® albums.

True - The MySpace for BlackBerry smartphones application will not start, but the MySpace for BlackBerry smartphones icon is still displayed on the screen of the BlackBerry smartphone

Here is a link to the 4.1.5 Policy guide that references those policies:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/deliverables/3801/Policy_Reference_Guide.pdf

I Hope that helps :smileywink:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Microboot wrote:

The sim cards we are being provided with have links to applications

So what happens when you take an old Blackberry phone and put that SIM card in?

Do you get the links?

What if you put in an older SIM into a new phone?

Do you get the links?

Just curious.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Retired
CerealBypass
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 9360

There may be some confusion there. It's not the SIM cards that have the links. It's the fact that the SIM card likely has a dataplan associated with it that will allow the carrier to push those links to the device.

If the icons have been disabled using the various IT policies my esteemed colleague listed above, then they will be blocked on that device regardless of what SIM is in it. If a data-enabled SIM is inserted into a device without the IT policy, then those links may very well appear.

My Device:

Well that makes some things more interesting.

So its like PC makers pushing craplets, but carriers pushing it instead on BlackBerry Devices.

New Contributor
Microboot

Sorry for the late reply it's been hectic at work and this BB didn't email me with your responses. Thanks very much for all your suggestions.

CerealBypass is correct in that it's something to do with the plan we have from the provider as the apps move with the SIM card as the BB devices are our re-used ones from our old provider which didn't have the icons. I'm not sure what version of the software we are running in Belgium at the moment (We are running three BES environments all with different versions at the moment) but I'll check.

Thanks

Michael